Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,819   Online: 948

Shooter
    35mm

Processing very old Kodachrome as black an white.

I have been offered very cheap a whole bunch of Kodachrome expiry 1989 but it has been cold stored.
    Is there much likelihood that this will be usable to process as black and white?
    There's also some Vericolor of similar age that comes with it....worth playing with, or flick it to some lomo guys?

Shooter
    35mm
    Both should work.....but no guarantees! There's a lot of threads here on expired films.

A test roll would be the only way to a definitive answer. After that, it depends entirely on whether you want or enjoy experimenting. Or, if you just need best and reliable results, go for fresh film. (As someone said, don't use it for your daughter's wedding pics.!)

Doesn't Kodachrome have the rem-jet backing that has to be mechanically removed? I don't think it will be a simple process to get a useable b&w negative out of it.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used some 1986 dated Kodachrome as originally intended a couple of years ago and it was fine. I'm sure it will be o.k. for black and white.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why would you want to spend ANY money on Kodachrome? It will work for B&W, but the remjet is a serious PITA to remove and messy as hell.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin