Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,001   Online: 993

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    1+100 ... stand develop for 60 minutes?

I've seen similar recipes elsewhere, from 60 minutes to 150 minutes at 1:100.

Also, what do you mean by vigorous agitation?
    Yes, 1:100 for 60 minutes. Before I started using stand development, I read on the net that for my Rodinal it should be 1:80, but for me the the difference is so little that I just went with 1:100. Instead of gentle inversions I shake the tank really hard for 30secs for the first minute, then I do the same routine when on the 30min mark. I process mine in a tank that takes 600ml for 1 roll of 120. But when processing 35mm, I have better results when using 1 35mm roll in 600ml (instead of the 350ml stated on the tank).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    1:100 for 2:15
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can anyone point me to a rundown of stand method with rodinal?
    df cardwell wrote a great article about stand development in Rodinal.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal & Tri-X is a good combination. I use it all the time with good results, certainly no fogging. I use regular agitaton, can't be bothered with stand dev.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    You're supposed to have comtrasty negs with this dream combo. Trix@1600 in rodinal is very special.

I fault your fixer which might be exhausted. Refix the neg.

Re-fixed the negs this morning before work. They looked a LOT better, dare I say, they looked like they should. Keeping my fingers crossed. Did not have time to inspect them closely, or enlarge one, before I left this morning.

Thanks, NB23!

The first time around, I was in a hurry so I fixed according to the (Arista Odorless liquid) recommended time, which was 2 minutes. I actually fixed for 3.5-4 minutes ... but that was still, apparently, not enough. This morning, I mixed fresh fix, and fixed for another 10 minutes. Then left the negs in a rinse of clean water. I'll hypo clear and hang them to dry at lunch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    Rodinal & Tri-X is a good combination. I use it all the time with good results, certainly no fogging. I use regular agitaton, can't be bothered with stand dev.
    This is why I have never explored stand dev.

Do you push to 1600 or beyond? If so, how long do you develop in Rodinal?

Shooter
    35mm
    Pstake,

Fixing this long is unusual but I don't know that fixer. If it's not a rapud fixer, then 5-10 minutes is the recomendation...

A cloudy negative is always a badly fixed negative. I'm glad I could help :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've never seen anything disadvantageous about pre-soaking Tri-x, also not with Rodinal. What would be the problem?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Stand is nit recommended because it is prone to uneven development.

The whole point of shaking is to prevent streaking amd to promote even development.

I really wish this stand development internet craze to stop. It's not really beneficial.
    Uneven development? Take a look at the attached files. This was done with refrigerator development, ala William Mortensen. I used Fuji Acros 120, in Ilford Ilfosol 3, for five days. Now, do you see uneven development?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FridgeDevelopment.jpg   FridgeDevelopmentDetail.jpg   FridgeDevelopmentDetail2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Re-fixed the negs this morning before work. They looked a LOT better, dare I say, they looked like they should. Keeping my fingers crossed. Did not have time to inspect them closely, or enlarge one, before I left this morning.

Thanks, NB23!

The first time around, I was in a hurry so I fixed according to the (Arista Odorless liquid) recommended time, which was 2 minutes. I actually fixed for 3.5-4 minutes ... but that was still, apparently, not enough. This morning, I mixed fresh fix, and fixed for another 10 minutes. Then left the negs in a rinse of clean water. I'll hypo clear and hang them to dry at lunch.
    Lesson learned: Test your fixer before you use it. Save some film leaders that you cut off 35mm films when you spool them up for processing. Dunk them in the fixer before you use it, and make sure it completely clears, within reasonable time, before you fix. If it takes more than 45s to 1m with rapid fixer it's time to replace it. With standard (non-rapid) fixer it's probably more like 2m.

And, some of the most classic photographs you'll ever see were done with Tri-X and Rodinal, and it's more a matter of taste whether you like it or not. It is definitely not, by any stretch of the imagination, a bad combination.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin