Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,231   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Images

Thinking of giving up on B/w altogether..Can someone help?

I don't have a darkroom nor will I be getting one soon. No matter what I do or how careful I am the negs come out messed up some how. I think I finally have the exposure thing worked out but that is a small part of the process. I have exposure and visualization going for me. That is only half the process and the rest has got me down.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What part of it are you messing up? Developing the actual negs? How are they coming out "messed up". Don't make any hasty decisions like giving up just yet!!

Images
    This time there was uneven development and I did nothing different than the last time when I got gouges, but even development. I am using a Unicolor drum, I do everything the same each time, in the same manner, and something new pops it's head up. Out of forty negs I have maybe five that are printable the rest are damaged in some way. Granted I did not always have the unicolor drum and things seem to be not as bad with it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not that familiar with the unicolor drum system. are you having problems loading the film evenly in the first place? Have you ever tried the Patterson tanks and Spirals? They're pretty easy to load and with those you only run into problems with 36exp rolls which sometimes don't want to go all the way on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take it you're using a drum roller. Make sure to use at least the minimal recommended total volume of liquid. Use filtered or reverse osmosis water from the supermarket or at home if you have a good tap filter with charcoal. I used to have trouble with staining and it was due to the chlorine in the water supply.
    Is there anything donuts can't do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    format?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I assumed you were using sheet film and if that's the case have you tried prewetting the film before adding the developer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple quick ways to troubleshoot your processing

1) check your camera - run a roll of slide film through and have it processed at a decent lab. Exposure problems that are equipment related will show up.

2) Start from square 1

New chemicals
    Mixed at factory recomendations with distilled water at proper temperatures.

Process your film at rated speed at the manufactures recommended time.

3) if your problems are actual damage to the film then you need to determine whether it is happening in camera or during processing.

Inspect the slides you shot earlier for damage.. If no damage inspect your reels for damage/burrs/etc Often damage to film during processing occurs while loading onto the reels.. best thing is to practice loading a blank film in the light until you can do it smoothly.

----

Lots of people here have developed their own preferrred mixes, temperatures, film speeds, etc.. This is fine once you have established your own baseline.

The best place to start is at the stock mixes. Old chemicals/old film/etc are not good to play with if you are having problems..

I hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    developer?... actually more info on all aspects is probably required

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmmm. Where'd he go? MARK ARE YOU THERE?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin