Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,412   Online: 761

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got some Calbe R09 than is four years out of date and has been open for a year. Works lovely I tell you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    As the Compard etc RO9 is made by the same people who made Agfa's Rodinal in the same plant & equipment to the same formula they are identical, so use up your old stock first.

Ian
    According to Freestyle, dilution of Compard RO9 is 1:25 or 1:50. The older version formula that they sell goes all the way to 1:200 or 1:400. I thought the stuff everyone raves about had the higher dilution ratio. Confused
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    It amazes me that even today different companies are still duking it out over name rights for this developer.
    The power of branding, it's not illusory. Pragmatic? Well...

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    According to Freestyle, dilution of Compard RO9 is 1:25 or 1:50. The older version formula that they sell goes all the way to 1:200 or 1:400. I thought the stuff everyone raves about had the higher dilution ratio. Confused
    Agfa always recommended 1+25 or 1+50 dilution of Rodinal and thatn hasn't changed since the mid 1960's. People use higher diliutions like 1+100 or higher but those were never Agfa's recommendations (in Europe) anyway.

The reality is that the original dilutions for Rodinal were once in the region 1+5 to 1+20 but that was when negatives were processed to much higher densities and contrasts, and it was used as a paper developer as well.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    I've got some Calbe R09 than is four years out of date and has been open for a year. Works lovely I tell you!
    If I am not mistaken, Calbe 09 = ADOLUX® APH 09 which can hold up to 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Back in the days before Calbe 09 / ADOLUX® APH 09 was reformulated for 1:50, on the bottle it said 1:40.
    So these days both versions of Rodinal are 1:25, 1:50 etc

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    People use higher diliutions like 1+100 or higher but those were never Agfa's recommendations (in Europe) anyway.
    Yep, for most general purpose films, 1+50 should do just fine.
    Instead of 1+100, folks should try dev @ low temps 18°C or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So basically, Compard R09 is exactly like my Agfa Rodinal, so not to worry, and the Adox/Orwo is an older formulation which is just as good albeit different (with similar contrast, tones and grain?)
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    The power of branding, it's not illusory. Pragmatic? Well...

s-a
    It just comes off as arguing over something that the average public couldn't give a damn about anymore. I can't imagine having the real name will guarantee a significant portion of "market share."
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This makes my head hurt…

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    So basically, Compard R09 is exactly like my Agfa Rodinal, so not to worry, and the Adox/Orwo is an older formulation which is just as good albeit different (with similar contrast, tones and grain?)
    You got it in one.

As for keeping qualities, I have always found that what the manufacturer says and what I get in reality are vastly different. Almost without exception, chemicals last a lot longer than the makers say they do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin