Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,127   Online: 912

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    You got it in one.

As for keeping qualities, I have always found that what the manufacturer says and what I get in reality are vastly different. Almost without exception, chemicals last a lot longer than the makers say they do.
    I have some Compard 09 I plan on getting around to trying. (And an old, opened but used only a couple of batches worth bottle of Rodinal - we'll see how it's kept.) I tried Rodinal in the 90s and couldn't get results I liked worth a darn. Any specifics I pointed out would get into an argument with the disciples of the church of Rodinal again so I'll just say negatives at the time looked weird to me, which is both true and utterly undescriptive. We'll see how new ones go.

I also have three 25 sheet boxes, frozen since purchased new, of APX 100 in 4x5. That may be the ideal film to try with my Compard 09.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    It amazes me that even today different companies are still duking it out over name rights for this developer.
    Just imagine Apple had developed this Miracle Water as "Apple Rodinal" - they would have sued everyone who owns an apple tree in Rhode Island because it sounds similar to Apple Rodinal. No kidding. And it gets even worse when you have a boy named MACkie in your family... that is brand and copyright infringement, for sure

There are some more modern alternatives to Rodinal. Moersch EFD is a very good one. It's especially good with classic low and medium ASA films, comes with a lot of sharpness and less grain and lasts a very long time, too. Last summer I used lots of Efke 50 film in 35mm, results with EFD were better than the ones in Rodinal.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    There are some more modern alternatives to Rodinal. Moersch EFD is a very good one. It's especially good with classic low and medium ASA films, comes with a lot of sharpness and less grain and lasts a very long time, too. Last summer I used lots of Efke 50 film in 35mm, results with EFD were better than the ones in Rodinal.
    I agree about the Moersch eco film developer characteristics, although both devs are in totally different leagues.
    Rodinal is a single shot, hundred years old formula for classic vibes. Probably the only developer that is available in its pre WWII and post WWII formulation since they work the same but yet different - go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    So basically, Compard R09 is exactly like my Agfa Rodinal, so not to worry, and the Adox/Orwo is an older formulation which is just as good albeit different (with similar contrast, tones and grain?)
    The original brew Adox/Orwo/Calbe gives a bit more punchier tones than the new soup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, thanks. I think I got it now. I just ordered some film from Freestyle and held off ordering this because of the confusion. Will pick it up on my next order as I would like to try it out. Thanks again.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin