Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,568   Online: 790

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I have working solutions of KRST that are more than five years old, have been replenished and filtered many times and are still active. I also have 10-year-old bottles of concentrate that work fine. I seriously doubt that your concentrate has gone bad. However it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

That said, I would much more believe that the papers you are using simply does not respond well to selenium toning, as mentioned above. I used some Cachet paper some years ago that simply would not change. After leaving it in the toner overnight, it just turned a bit bluer...

Which papers are you using?

Try some Adox. It tones beautifully and quickly in rather dilute selenium toner.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com
    Which Adox paper would that be?

The MCC 110, which I really like, does indeed tone in KRST, but I don't care for the color. In 1+19 at about 75 degrees it starts to take on a plum/magenta tone at about five minutes. I don't like the color so I stop at about 4 minutes for archival purposes and a slight but noticeable improvement in d-max.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Roger,

I should have been more specific. I use graded papers mostly and I was speaking of Adox Nuance, which I have heard is really made by Emaks (not sure about that though).

I generally don't like the way VC papers tone. That's one of the reasons I try to stick with graded when possible. However, now that Seagull is gone and Freestyle is no longer marketing Slavich the selection is getting rather small.

Maybe you have a suggestion for a VC paper that tones a nice hint of eggplant in selenium?

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Doremnus,

Not right off. It depends on how "eggplant" you want it. MCC 110 does start to get purple/magenta. I don't care for it so I stop short of that but you might try it. It's a very nice, very rich paper, just not capable (according to what I've read here and I haven't found a way either) of a really cool tone. It's a very nice neutral to slightly warm tone though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin