Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,057   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak Selenium toner

I have some very old Kodak Selenium Toner. I've had several people tell me that Selenium Toner doesn't go bad but I'm not getting any coloring with this toner. I've tried dilutions as strong as 1:3 at 90 Degrees but no matter how long I leave it in or what paper I use I get no color change. Once out of frustration I flopped a wet print out of the toner on the counter and walked away. The next morning it had a nice golden brown tone to it. The towels I wipe my hands on have toner stains the next day.

So why is it that I don't get any color change until it dries? I thought selenium was supposed to be a wysiwyg?
    looking for the battery cover for a early model Canonet QL 17, the round screw in kind.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't know.
    If it doesn't smell the usual smell, then it's not selenium or it's gone bad.

Some papers don't tone in selenium. I had this frustraing experience with Ilford mgfb IV... No matter how long, irlt didn't change.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use KRST 1:20 for 8 min at around 74 degrees, with Ilford Galerie developed in Dektol.

The color changes only very slightly from Olive towards Neutral.

There is some discussion that recommends Selenium toning at a warm temperature 1:3 but only for 45 seconds. Then you start to lose density.

I always wear gloves, having heard this is hazardous, recommend you take protective measures for yourself - I even rinse my gloves before wiping on a towel to keep the towels from getting contaminated.

Regards,

Bill

p.s. I work for Kodak but my opinion and position is my own and not necessarily that of EKC.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the color change you are seeing is a result of staining, not toning.

As far as I know, Selenium toner contains large amount of the same ingredients as ordinary fixers. As such, extensive washing is necessary after toning. If you just left it after soaking the paper in selenium solution, then it will stain the paper pretty badly.

Isn't it in the same color that spilled fixer will leave?

What kind of paper are you using? Some paper won't tone very well.... Even when it does, the change is rather gradual and subtle. Unless you have un-toned paper next to it to compare, you won't see very much change.

I haven't had my toner long enough for it to go bad.... but I suppose anything can go bad if yours is very old or stored in very poor condition.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Some papers don't tone in selenium. I had this frustraing experience with Ilford mgfb IV... No matter how long, irlt didn't change.
    Ilford Multigrade (MGIV) resists color change from selenium. It gets a bit darker but it does not change color even if you leave it in the soup overnight.

If you are using Ilford MGIV, that's the reason. If you just want to enhance the image density and contrast, selenium will fit the bill. If you want color change, you'll have to switch to another type of paper.

I use selenium on Ilford MGIV but I only want to enhance density and to preserve the photograph. I don't want color change. If I want that, I use a different paper.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JRieke View Post
    I have some very old Kodak Selenium Toner. I've had several people tell me that Selenium Toner doesn't go bad but I'm not getting any coloring with this toner. I've tried dilutions as strong as 1:3 at 90 Degrees but no matter how long I leave it in or what paper I use I get no color change. Once out of frustration I flopped a wet print out of the toner on the counter and walked away. The next morning it had a nice golden brown tone to it. The towels I wipe my hands on have toner stains the next day.

So why is it that I don't get any color change until it dries? I thought selenium was supposed to be a wysiwyg?
    i gave up on selenium toning a while back and went to direct sulphide tonin instead. it's fully archival and much more wysiwyg.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have working solutions of KRST that are more than five years old, have been replenished and filtered many times and are still active. I also have 10-year-old bottles of concentrate that work fine. I seriously doubt that your concentrate has gone bad. However it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

That said, I would much more believe that the papers you are using simply does not respond well to selenium toning, as mentioned above. I used some Cachet paper some years ago that simply would not change. After leaving it in the toner overnight, it just turned a bit bluer...

Which papers are you using?

Try some Adox. It tones beautifully and quickly in rather dilute selenium toner.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It also depends on the developer. MGIV in Dektol will show a much bigger shift from olive green to plum in KRST 1:9 than MGIV in Ansco 130, where there is no olive green cast to start with. In any case, it may be subtle, but there is a marked shift.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Buy a new bottle of selenium toner and try again.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    It also depends on the developer. MGIV in Dektol will show a much bigger shift from olive green to plum in KRST 1:9 than MGIV in Ansco 130, where there is no olive green cast to start with. In any case, it may be subtle, but there is a marked shift.
    Absolutely. I don't understand when people say MGIV doesn't tone well in selenium. I think it tones great, but it needs stronger dilutions. I prefer 1:9 for 6-8 minutes. Lovely charcoally tones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin