Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,792   Online: 768

Shooter
    Medium Format

Exposed but undeveloped photopaper

Hi. I am in need of your help - I am looking for photo emulsion / paper which when exposed to sunlight over time will turn black without being developed.
    I am an art student and I am creating a book that will become darker over time
    However, my problem is that I have only been able to find photosensitive paper that turns purple / brownish when exposed but I'm sure that there must be something that can become completely or nearly black.
    Perhaps there is an older type of paper or an emulsion which can create the result I want?
    And one last question: do you know which chemicals determine the final colour of the exposed image?
    Greetings, Kat

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Hi Kat.

there's a member in here called Photo Engineer - he knows a lot.....

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some Fade to Black thing ala The Impossible Project? Silver doesn't print out/react that way.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    POP?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i thought that any photopaper would turn black over time, when continuously exposed to daylight, no?
    i remember some "artwork" we did in school (70's), making photograms that way.

mm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Kat,

Photographic paper goes to a very dark grey / purple ( almost black ) when exposed to light and it goes pretty quickly as well ( within a week, but 90% within 24 hours ). So I do not know what type of effect you are trying for your artwork, but you need to consider this.

Like Maarten M above, when my kids were young it was fun ( and my party piece ! ) to take a sheet of photo paper out of the packet ( in the dark of course ) bring it into the light and put the kids hand on the sheet, take it off 30 seconds later and 'dah dah' a photogramme of their hand...

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin