Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,312   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Commercial Gold toners

We have been using Fotospeeds gold toner for sometime in our class and I would like to mix my own basic gold toner from scratch.

I have checked the label, their website, etc. to determine what is being used in that formula other than water and gold , but it remains a mystery.

Anyone have any suggestions for a substitute? I have a wide variety of exotic gold toners available so i don't need information regarding that classification of gold toners. Just the bare bone basic gold toner.

Have also checked the Photoformulary but the only other gold toner they list (besides the exotic ones) is a protective one that has a very short shelve life; like none.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Compact Photo Lab Index (1977) has the formula for Kodak Gold Toner (Nelson) T-21. It also has rather detailed directions for use. This is a replenishable toner. If you are interested, I will post it to the Chemistry section of APUG.

The Compact Photo Lab Index also has the GAF version of the Nelson Gold Toner plus the GAF 231 Formulation (Thiocyanate/Gold).

In addition, it has Ilford IT-4 (Thiocyanate/Gold) and Ilford IT-5 (Gold/Thiocarbamide.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always thought Gold toners had an extermely long life

Look into JackPcs for formulas

http://www.jackspcs.com/toner.htm
    Mama took my APX away.....

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have the formula for Nelson's Gold, GP-1, blue /gold etc.

I didn't check my Morgan and Morgan guide for the Ilford It-4 but will do so. I don't think the IT-5 is going to help as it contains thiocarbamide which is found in sepia type toners, However, since i am not a chemist i could be way off balance on that one.

usually one can find the ingredients for various products on the label, not the amounts of course but at least what it contains. Perhaps that is a US thing and isn't universal

thanks for checking your resources for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to al old Kodak book, Nelson Gold can be replenished by adding a 4g/l gold chloride solution to it. (1g of Au-Cl / 250ml)
    The rate they suggest is 4cc every 50 8x10s for a warm brown.
    Mama took my APX away.....

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I already checked out Jack's .
    Commercial Gold toners do have a long life; however, GP-1 does not, neither do some of the "from scratch that contain Thiocyanate" of thiorea for that matter.
    The nice thing about the Fotospeed is it can sit around and then be available immediatley. With the others , they must be used within several hours of mixing.

Can't have it both ways, i guess.

I may try GP-1 and see what happens. We have been using this to split with selenium. However, i may give it a try in another context.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ann,
    Did you consider Dupont-6T? It requires 3 solutions. Gold Chloride is added in just before use, hence economical and the 1st 2 solutions have a good shelf life.
    I will look up the formula and get back to you if you want more information regarding this toner.
    Last edited by Shesh; 11-16-2004 at 04:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks, appreciate it as I am not familar with the Dupont toner.

We use Nelson's gold all the time and it does last a very long time with just general topping off with gold. Am not looking for brown tones, red tones, etc. We are toning with selenium and gold for extended times, which does not shift color but creates depth.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've used Tetenal's gold toner for that. I don't know what's in it, but I was under the impression that it's a gold/borax toner?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Published in "The Darkroom Cookbook" by Steve Anchell:

Use the gold tone modifier directly on a print to get a blue-black tone.

Gold Tone Modifier
    Gold Chloride - 1 gram
    Potassium thiocyanate - 6 grams
    Water to make 1 liter

In order to get purple brown to rich purple colors:
    Bleach with 6B-1 and tone with 6T-1. After toning in 6T-1, immerse it in a 3% sodium chloride solution and rinse the print briefly and place it in the Gold tone modifier for as long as desired (typically 2-16 minutes). Wash before drying the print.

Varigram toning Bleach 6B-1

Water - 750ml
    Potassium Ferricyanide - 22 grams
    Potassium bromide - 25 grams
    Water to make 1.0 liter

Varigram toner 6T-1

Water - 750 ml
    Thiourea - 3.0 grams
    Sodium hydroxide - 6 grams
    water to make 1 liter
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin