Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,695   Online: 757

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Simple Iodine bleach

I just tried this out.
    Here's my post on the recipes page:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=65

André

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez
    I just tried this out.
    Here's my post on the recipes page:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=65

André
    What are you attemping to achieve by bleaching the entire print? (increase contrast, bring out highlights, reduce for toning, etc.?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the clinical laboratory technicians among us, diluted "lugol" is working very well as bleaching solution.

Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hortense,

The print I bleached was too flat and dark (thin negative, printed at max contrast in my color head), so I bleached it to get some shadow separation and bring out the highlights. It worked better than I hoped.

BTW, the print has been drying for a few hours now, and I can see no visible color shift from the control (unbleached) print of the same negative. I've heard of color shifts from ferracyanide, but have used it very little (and never with a warmtone paper), but at least now I know that this won't shift colors (at least too dramatically).

Fred,
    I just googled "lugol," and it seems like a concentrated iodine solution... seems like an option as well!

Like I said in the recipes post, I don't claim to be original with the iodine bleaching, but I thought that it might help other APUGers who don't have access to ferracyanide, or just don't want to mess with the stuff....

Thank you both for your responses,

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lugol can be a pretty decent bleach.
    Have you tried making "Chinese" prints with it?
    I.e. bleaching fully toned print (selenium ), bleach with Iodine, fix in thio?

I tried some of that before decomissioning my darkroom on monday night, very funny results
    (I used iodine tincture, and it worked slowly but it didi work)
    Mama took my APX away.....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin