Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,111   Online: 1159

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

New to developing

I want to start developing my own B&W film. I'd like to use Kodak D76 to start with because i have documentation that walks me through the process from start to finish. While it is very descriptive of the process and mentions the D76 by name it just says for the rest "stop bath", "fixer", "photo flo", and "replenisher". Do these have product numbers? What do i need to look for when ordering? Can i find these items together in a kit? Most of where i'm shopping is online, as the local shops are "an arm and a leg" for supplies any more, so I'd like to have a good idea of what I'm looking for. Any particular places that are good with pricing and service that are recommended?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any other brand of stop and fix will suffice, just follow the directions on the label. As for rinse aid(fotoflo) I prefer Edwal LFN, only need one drop to 16oz distilled water for streak and spot free drying. Dust free is totally up to you to provide a clean space, hanging in the shower works.I don't see the need for wash aids like Sistan or hypo clearing agents before final wash and rinse. Ilford method of film washing is perfect for me. My personal brand of fixer is Formulary's TF-4, washes out quickly and longer life, increased capacity over most other brands. I buy the cheapest indicator stop I can find, they are all mostly identical, so why waste money. Some folks don't bother with chemical stop and just use a couple water rinses instead, I've been in the DR for nearly 50 years and still believe acid stop is best. Good luck with developing. BTW I'm available if you need help, if you need I can even talk you through the process, PM me for a phone number if you need help.Take the road trip and I'll give you a hands on lesson in my DR.
    I usually buy my chems from Freestyle, ocassionally from Adorama.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear micwag2,

If "Eastern Pennsylvania" means your close to Philadelphia, Calumet is a good "walk in" source. My personal suggestion to anyone starting is to purchase Kodak liquids and mix them in distilled water. Get a "Kodak Black & White Darkroom Dataguide" at the local used book store and use T-Max developer, Kodak Indicator Stop, and Kodafix fixer. These products have amazing shelf life. Keep in mind that all the other brands are quality products and are worth purchasing. Nothing in the above should be considered as a criticism of them.

Good luck and welcome to a rewarding way of making images,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear micwag2,

If "Eastern Pennsylvania" means your close to Philadelphia, Calumet is a good "walk in" source. My personal suggestion to anyone starting is to purchase Kodak liquids and mix them in distilled water. Get a "Kodak Black & White Darkroom Dataguide" at the local used book store and use T-Max developer, Kodak Indicator Stop, and Kodafix fixer. These products have amazing shelf life. Keep in mind that all the other brands are quality products and are worth purchasing. Nothing in the above should be considered as a criticism of them.

Good luck and welcome to a rewarding way of making images,

Neal Wydra
    I'm around Lansdale, which is north of Philly. I did read about the distilled water as being more reliable than tap water. You never know what's coming out of some taps. Is Calumet in the city or outside of it? I'm on Freestyles website now and this is what i looked up so far.
    Product Name Price Per Unit Quantity Total
    Kodak
    Photo Flo 200 16 oz. - Model# 1464510
    8.39 1 $8.39
    Kodak Indicator Stop Bath 16 oz.
    - Model# 1464247
    6.29 1 $6.29
    Kodak D-76 Film
    Developer to make 1 Gallon - Model# 1464817
    6.09 1 $6.09
    Kodak Fixer Powder To Make 1
    Gallon - Model# 1971746
    5.79 1 $5.79
    $26.56

Am i in the right direction?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's about right. Photo-Flo is best used by the drop, use distilled water for mixing chemicals, and for the final rinse w/ photo-flo. You can wash in tapwater.

Edit - Welcome to the wonderful world of analog! Having a camera without doing your own processing is like having a leash without the dog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good luck with developing, really a lot of fun and thrills.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't look up the Freestyle numbers, but do not get fixer with hardener in it, it takes longer to fix and wash with it incorporated, and not necessary these days.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Develop your own film is a lot of fun. BTW welcome to APUG.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All Siriusness aside, check out http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=26 for more information about processing film.

Enjoy
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin