Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,972   Online: 752

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    After never having had a similar problem with any other developer, I quit using XTOL the first time this happened. I found that the date on the package was one month out of date. I don't want anything to do with a developer which dies while a powder in the original package.
    I have used numerous developers, both packaged and self formulated, since and never had the problem. I will never try XTOL again. There are too many very good developers which do not have such a problem.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim, was this recently and related to a 5 litre pack? One month out of date would seem unlikely to have such a bearing on dry chems. If it was a long while back and a 1 litre pack, then it makes more sense.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    XTOL is the Ford Pinto of film developers. Stick to reliable formulas like D-76.

You use it but you know something bad's going to happen sooner or later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Xtol is a very reliable developer I used it from it's release until about 3 years ago, always replenished. I had no problems with older 5 litre packets either, there was a point in the early 2000's when is went out of stock and I bought quite a few packs while visiting the US/CAnada .

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    After never having had a similar problem with any other developer, I quit using XTOL the first time this happened. I found that the date on the package was one month out of date. I don't want anything to do with a developer which dies while a powder in the original package.
    I have used numerous developers, both packaged and self formulated, since and never had the problem. I will never try XTOL again. There are too many very good developers which do not have such a problem.
    The OP states "I'm also having identical failures with homebrew developers, so something is happening that's not XTOL's fault."

Eliminate the variables, one at a time. Change the water source, perhaps try with the home-brew first.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

XTOL is the Ford Pinto of film developers. Stick to reliable formulas like D-76.

You use it but you know something bad's going to happen sooner or later.
    But he said that it happens with home brew developers, too. I've used Xtol for 12 years and have never had a failure. I mixed up an expired package (by 6 years), and it was fine. By the way, an old lady down the street still drives her Pinto and it's in mint condition
    Old, mixed Xtol stock does turn a slight yellow. NEVER use at this stage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the lid for your film tank plastic or stainless steel. Could be you have dried chemical residue in the light trap that will kill your developer. Try a very long soak in hot water.

How does your store sell distilled water? Normally it comes in sealed 4 liter or 1 gallon jugs. If it's coming from a dispenser unit, I wouldn't even buy it.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    But he said that it happens with home brew developers, too. I've used Xtol for 12 years and have never had a failure. I mixed up an expired package (by 6 years), and it was fine. By the way, an old lady down the street still drives her Pinto and it's in mint condition
    Old, mixed Xtol stock does turn a slight yellow. NEVER use at this stage.
    The lady has been lucky she has not been hit in the back so the bolts that hold the bumper in place are driven into gas tank which results in leaks/fires. That was the main problem or at least a major problem.

In either case,Pinto or Extol, catastrophic failure. Pretty good anology.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It has already been suggested that stainless steel tanks can leak out iron ions which will catalytically and quickly destroy ascorbic acid. I don't know for sure whether Xtol uses ascorbic acid but its MSDS doesn't list any other developing agent besides Dimezone-S so chances are high that AA is the source of Xtols problems. The other developers Mark worked on also used AA so his problems could well come from his stainless steel tanks.

Second: Xtol isn't some cheap'n'easy substitute for D76, therefore suggesting D76 is like pointing frustrated Pinto users to Ford model T. Its high performance comes with some rare issues which many folks have been willing to live with.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It's reliable for me too

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Xtol is a very reliable developer I used it from it's release until about 3 years ago, always replenished.
    I find the same here, but I've been using if for almost 2 years and it's a dependable developer. Did you check your thermometer? Maybe it reads higher than it really is?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin