Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,366   Online: 1090

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    The raptor signs say 1+50. That means one part of stock + 50 parts of water. That's easy to do. 9 ml of Rodinal + 450 ml or 10 + 500 and throw away what you don't need. If you don't want to waste even 1 ml, the amount of Rodinal concentrate is 1/51 times the amount of developer you want to mix and the rest is water.
    I don't know how that word "raptor" got in there. It should have said "The instructions say 1+50."
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I never prepare quantities of less than a liter. I have two graduates, 1000ml and 200ml. Make it easy to put together 20ml of Rodinal by eye.

BTW, IIRC Ralph Gibson said he never used less than 20ml of Rodinal in any solution, that it needed energy. Sounds kind of like the kitchen lore of never making pasta (regardless of the amount) in LESS than a gallon of boiling water.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like Gadget Gainer I always mix up round figures (for 2 reasons). First I can always fill the tank and second, the more you mix the smaller the error if you don't get the ratio spot on. For me I feel it helps to keep everything consistent, there again I might just be too lazy to recalculate for different quantities.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    1+200 rodinal works as well for standing development
    2 ml Rodinal + 400 ml water
    APX 100... agitate the first minute and go buy a pizza
    Come back 2 or 3 hours later, fix, wash, dry, voila!
    Can you tell me more about this standing development?
    For one thing it takes sooooooooo long. Why would I do that instead of 1-13 minutes in a JOBO? Is there something in the outcome that makes this worthwhile?

Thanks.

-Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    For one thing it takes sooooooooo long. Why would I do that instead of 1-13 minutes in a JOBO? Is there something in the outcome that makes this worthwhile?

Thanks.

-Mike

Using a Jobo with continious agitation ruins the nice effects of Rodinal.

At dilutions higher than 1+50 it has a nice compensating and accutance effect when agitated properly. The stand development increases these effects as far as I know.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Only beginning Rodinal junkies use syringes - but I am advanced, hooked for 7 years, so I am using a pipette with a pressure ball to measure my Rodinal. These things aren´t expensive (mine was a gift from a friend who believed to have quit negative processes in favour of Scala slides - he just came back to Rodinal and Pyrocat HD. 8-) and are much more precise to use. Mine measures up to 20ml in 0.1ml increments.

But the real reason I use these is that they are easy to clean and much less trouble in handling. No fear of poking an eye out with the needle, no droplets on the berber carpet...
    Tschüss,
    Roman

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Blix,

I doubt that either you and me would see the difference between hand agitation and rotation with our eyes - it is highly subtile, more a matter of believe than fact. The choice of the enlarger light source or the use of a grain focusser has more practical influence than the difference in acutance between those schemes - we are able to distinguish "sharp" from "not so sharp" and "bw condensor head" from "diffuse dicro head" with the plain eye (the latter with the help of indicators, like scratches and texture), but not between "high acutance" and "higher acutance".

When having to develop larger numbers of films (>4 rolls at a time) I choose to use the Jobo processor instead of wrecking my wrist.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, when you mix expsures (toy cameras) and you need compensation so not to blow the highlights and maintain the midtones.
    Since you don;t agitate at all it's no big deal to me, also if you leave it there for 2.5 or 3 hours instead or 2 there is not much dfference.
    I like the way my negs look afterwards... will try in EFKE 100 and report back next week

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi

Thanks.

-Mike
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Williams
    Try not to make things harder than they really are. Rodinal gives dilutions in an additive notation, ie 1+50. Not 1-50 or 1:50. For each 50 ml of water ADD 1 ml of the good stuff. Make it easy on yourself and use increments of 50 ml if you want to use the 1+50 dilution. 500 ml water plus 10 ml Rodinal equals the 1+50 dilution. Piece o' cake!
    Have fun.
    Yeah, after about 45 minutes of calculations and questioning co-workers I went home and my wife said that at 1-50 I would just have to add 10ml to 500ml and the problem would be solved and (gasp) if I add 20ml to 500ml I would have a 1-25 ratio. Wow, look what common sense can do.

I spent 25 minutes just trying to figure the conversion of oz. to ml.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh, I would also like to thank peters, an APUG member in Ct., who sent me two plastic syringes so as to fine tune those Rodinal measurements. This may cause the Rodinal users who are weak of heart to skip a beat, but I had to use a teaspoon the other day, seeing as it was the most precise measuring devise at my disposal. So to peters, thanks!
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin