Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,141   Online: 844

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Measuring Rodinal (Word Problem Ahead)

Ok, this may be a very dumb question, but it has flummoxed me and many of the people I have asked.

I am working on a solid Rodinal addiction and for the life of me I can't figure out how to measure the stuff appropriately.I am going to start using it at the 1-50 ratio and go from there.

I have a two 35mm reel S/S tank that holds about 16oz of liquid. I believe that 16oz is roughly 460ml. So it seems that the ratio for my tank should be 9ml of Rodinal to 450ml of H2O. But there doesn't seem to be a Graduate that measures from 1ml all the way up to 500ml. So do I measure my Rodinal in a small graduate and then add it to H2O already measured in a larger graduate?

I didn't think about it until I really tried to figure the actual measurements, but is rodinal really potent enough to be effective at 9ml to 450ml. I know it's true, but it seems nuts.

Am I wrong here? Is there an easier way to measure this stuff?
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Stephen,

For Rodinal and other devs I use a syringe that came with a DIY inkjet refill kit.
    Your local pharmacy will have a selection.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Measuring Rodinal

I will send you a syringe if you PM me with your address. These hold 2oz. and are new shape-I'll send you 2 just in case. Oh yeah-no charge!
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm the same as clogz - use a 5ml syringe and rubber stopper from the local parmacist (it was free).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use either a syringe (10 ml. or 20 ml.) or a graduate. I measure the Rodinal and pour it into the beaker, then I take some water into the syringe or graduate to get all the Rodinal out and put that into the beaker too. Then I pour water into the beaker to make the desired amount of developer.

I use Rodinal 1+25, 1+50 and 1+100. The small amount the Holy Water (Rodinal) is quite enough as it is very concentrated.

One thing is for sure, making a "stock solution" of Rodinal (e.g. 1+5 or 1+7) for further dilution when making working solution is a very bad idea, although it would make measuring easier. Rodinal will keep for years if concentrated but will exhaust in a few days when diluted.

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    9mls of rodinal will do more than two film! I think there's a manufacturer recommended minium amount but anyone who uses it 1:100 probably undercuts that, I certainly do. Most measerly amount I've experimented with was 0.75ml in 300ml of water (1:400) and after 90mins of minimal agitation, my negs appeared. I don't recommend that ratio for everyday use though.

To use small doses, get a suitable sized sryinge (no needle) from the pharmacy. Measure it out, squirt into your 500ml (or whatever) graduate and then add the water.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    To use small doses, get a suitable sized sryinge (no needle)
    Why not....a shot of Hot Rod into veins is quite refreshing (and helps your body develop properly )

Morten

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you all for your help!!!
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try measuring 18.5 ml of Ilford HC (1+31) (sorry Morten, still resisting the militia) in a 50 ml graduate for 120 film or 20.3ml for 2 spools of 35mm!
    :rolleyes:
    Yes a syringe is definitly the way to go!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just a sde note.... there are larger syringes @walgreens or @vet supply stores

I have an assortment of 2, 5, 10 ml, and I find the 5ml the most useful.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin