Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,426   Online: 1084

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try it with paper. Maybe you can shoot positives in a large format camera (or pinhole camera, ie shoebox), using normal photo paper.

JJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    got two containers full of new shallots...one soaking in the original water/alcohol...one just in water

i was going to do another run tonight...but ended up doing something else...so tomorrow hopefully I'll find out if this is easy to reproduce or if it's just some weird thing that only happens when the planets are aligned...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    e
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I wonder if the developing ability of the shallots will be as variable as their taste. There are some very mild shallots and some very sharp ones... I certainly hope your result is reproducible, it's intriguing! Offhand the CI of the slide doesn't look very favorable though... I hope I'm wrong.

Tried it again tonight.......no image, but I get the same nice sepia-ish tone all over the film

after the film dries I'll give it a closer examination...but for now I don't see any image at all

so now I'm wondering...how many times will I have to try this to get this effect to appear again?

since I was expecting the shallots to develop the film because of quercetin...i'm wondering if adding quercetin might do something interesting?

who knows...now I have more of a mystery than I did before.....

now the shallots only soaked in the water/alcohol for about 24 hours...not the full week like before...so that may be an issue

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if variability of shallots is an issue...might have to test 1 shallot at a time...otherwise it might take a billion years to randomly get 6 identical shallots

there is gonna be a lot of smelly developer in my future

Shooter
    Large Format
    about the 1 day vs 5 days ...
    how about have a batch of your developer and take some out every day and test it upto 5 days ..
    maybe it is the how long you steep the shallots too ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yup...lotta things to test

found a good thread here on direct reversal: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...film-work.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wikipedia suggests that tea shodul have much higher quercetin levels...

Foods rich in quercetin include black and green tea (Camellia sinensis; 2000–2500 mg/kg), capers (1800 mg/kg), lovage (1700 mg/kg), apples (440 mg/kg), onion, especially red onion (191 mg/kg) (higher concentrations of quercetin occur in the outermost rings), red grapes, citrus fruit, tomato, broccoli and other leafy green vegetables, and a number of berries, including raspberry, bog whortleberry (158 mg/kg, fresh weight), lingonberry (cultivated 74 mg/kg, wild 146 mg/kg), cranberry (cultivated 83 mg/kg, wild 121 mg/kg), chokeberry (89 mg/kg), sweet rowan (85 mg/kg), rowanberry (63 mg/kg), sea buckthorn berry (62 mg/kg), crowberry (cultivated 53 mg/kg, wild 56 mg/kg), and the fruit of the prickly pear cactus. A recent study found that organically grown tomatoes had 79% more quercetin than "conventionally grown".
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente View Post
    if variability of shallots is an issue...might have to test 1 shallot at a time...otherwise it might take a billion years to randomly get 6 identical shallots
    I think my approach would be the opposite- get a lot of different kinds, throw in some red onions to, make a nice soup. Something in the soup will do the job.

I guess there is a fair amount of selenium in there too. I tend to think of nuts and garlic and onions and such containing appreciable selenium. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.
    Last edited by keithwms; 03-28-2012 at 11:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks...I am also going to test garlic

going to test the shallot with added quercetin...since I have quercetin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    later today I'm going to try and simulate what jnanian suggested in the other thread...that underdevelopment & fog generated the positive image

going to use quercetin ( which I was hoping what would actually be the developing agent in onions/shallots ) and sodium sulfide from a print toner

gonna do it in 50/50 water/alcohol since the original experiment was a water/alcohol mix....that may have nothing to do with it...BUT if the carbonate causes the water and alcohol to separate ( like it did in the red onion test ) then perhaps it could have some effect since some things would be more soluble in alcohol than water

also...I think in the first test I didn't do much agitation...dunno if that changes anything or not

any suggestions??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just tested 1.5 g quercetin with 0.5 g sodium sulfide in 500 water/alcohol with sodium carbonate....

totally fogged negative

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin