testing Shallot developer again tonight...
this time the ground-up shallots were soaked in water only ( no isopropyl alcohol ) for 4 days
after 30 min I removed half of the film...NO sepia tone...faint negative image
will remove the rest of the film after a few more hours
....also...instead of dumping out the ground-up shallots after draining the fluid, I put them back in the container and added 99% isopropyl alcohol...and will later test that
SO...it seems that whatever generates the sepia tone might be soluble in alcohol but not water (?!?)
the adventure continues
after 3.5 hours got a decent negative with the shallot developer w/ some fog
but it's still a negative and NO sepia tint
saw an interesting thread speculating about using onions as a fixer and/or dogicide:
the mystery continues
soaking shallots in WATER: negative image, no amber/sepia tone
soaking shallots in 99% ALCOHOL: no image, strong amber tone
just ran another test...as close to the first run as possible...seems like I might have positive images again...but won't be sure until film is dry
pulled one strip out after an hour...there is more film still in the developer to come out later
Yup.....positive images again...so that first experiment wasn't a fluke
I'll post a few images tomorrow when the film is dry
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
Interesting stuff. I'm curious why you get a positive image. But it does look cool. If this works with paper as wel that would be even better!
haven't tried it with paper yet...glad you mentioned it
EDIT - one test I forgot to do is...make a clip of the film after development but before the fixer
Last edited by DarkroomExperimente; 04-07-2012 at 09:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
ok this is the shallot developer...second time I got a reversal....after 1 hour
from left to right....original image...."autolevels" in photoshop...desaturated image
...also got images after 2.5 hours, but my scanner doesn't work well with dark images so I didn't post them
Last edited by DarkroomExperimente; 04-07-2012 at 11:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.
this is one of the coolest experiments !
these are shallots chopped/minced and steeped in alcohol for 5 days ?
or was it made another way ? ( i know you made it several ways ) ...
shallot are mutilated in a cuisinart....then soaked in 70% isopropyl alcohol with a little extra water for 7 days
when I didn't wait 7 days I got blank film with an amber tone on it
when I soak it in water only I get a negative....I took the onions that had soaked in water and soaked them in 99% isopropyl alcohol and got clear film with amber tone
so one of the next experiments is to reverse it - soak the shallots in 99% alcohol...drain fluid, test film...then soak the onions in water and test that
have read online that some people tried onion juice as a fixer....might have to try that too
at some point I need to eat these things too...since it seems most things that develop film are also healthy