Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,713   Online: 916

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Direct Positive sepia-toned slide with Shallot-based developer

earlier tonight I developed a roll of Tri-X in one of my homemade developers

the basic formula for all my experiments is: (stuff to test) + (sodium carbonate)

so this time it was a developer made from chopped up shallots ( similar to onion, supposed to have a lot of Quercetin ) that soaked in a water/alcohol mix for a week

the developer was 750 ml of the shallot "extract" + 4 tbsp of sodium carbonate ( not all dissolved )

a short strip of Tri-X was developed for 3 hours....when I first looked at the film i thought I have thin negatives with a nice sepia tint....

when I looked again i realized these were POSITIVE images!!!

onions and garlic have allyl propyl disulphide in them ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allyl_propyl_disulfide ) ....I wonder is this behaving anything like sodium sulfide which I understand can act as a fogging developer?....could this or something else work on the unexposed silver and leave the latent image alone????

red onion did NOTHING to film when I tried it...so I was expecting the shallot developer to be weak or another total failure

it seems there was no normal development of the images....on the tail of film that was sticking out of the cassette there's the usual dark developed area....but everything else is a lighter brown tone...

what's going on??

I'll post scans tomorrow when the film is dry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Cool! show!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    here's one of the two images...if I had known this was going to happen I would have developed the whole roll...but i only processed a short strip of film

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SO-1-shallotslide-3-post.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	48534

Shooter
    35mm
    Odd that I don't see any edge markings... but still that's pretty cool! I hope you measured carefully and wrote down your recipe.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes I wrote down the recipe....it's up in my first comment

re: edge markings....the edges and areas between frames are actually pretty dark...dunno why edges seem so light in the scanned image...on the actual film the edges are much darker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente View Post
    dunno why edges seem so light in the scanned image...on the actual film the edges are much darker
    I suppose that's because of the auto-leveling software. It sees the sprocket holes and includes that white space in the exposure calculation. If you crop out the sprocket holes in your scan software, you may see a better result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks...I usually crop out the sprocket holes

just got back from the store with a huge supply of shallot & garlic to try this again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente View Post
    thanks...I usually crop out the sprocket holes

just got back from the store with a huge supply of shallot & garlic to try this again
    People at the store will be wondering if you have been spending too much time reading about vampires
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Onions and similar vegetable contain disulfides and other thio compounds, like sepia toners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wonder if the developing ability of the shallots will be as variable as their taste. There are some very mild shallots and some very sharp ones... I certainly hope your result is reproducible, it's intriguing! Offhand the CI of the slide doesn't look very favorable though... I hope I'm wrong.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin