Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,389   Online: 1084

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

B&W Paper and fumigation

Hello folks

My house is due to be fumigated (for some bugs) this weekend, and I would like to know, can this harm/fog my paper. I store my paper in a cupboard in one bedroom (never in the darkroom, which is now in the house).
    We will not be home for the weekend, so the super bugspray will be in the air from Friday to Sunday evening.

I reckon my film supply should be safe in the fridge and freezer, but I have no idea about the paper.

I think I might be worried for nothing, but rather safe than sorry, right?

Thank you all in advance

PS: There isn't any space in the fridge or freezer for the paper too, so that isn't an option really

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We spray insecticides in our apartment in Turkey every spring (again later in the year occasionally) and it's never affected my films -opened boxes of sheet film would be far more sensitive to change than B&W papers. I'd never thought about it but the spray is used along the bottom of the cabinet/drawers I use for film storage (so within 18").

You might check what chemical they are going to use.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to be safe, put all your paper in the freezer or refridgerator whilst you are away.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We had our house tented for termites. I put film and paper in the bags the exterminator provided and in the refrigerator as suggested. There was no problem. As with other valuables take your camera equipment with you (better safe than sorry).

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Ricus,

Depends what they will spray...

I have to say as long as the paper is in the box and the bag is folded around the paper in the box I cannot think it would come to any harm.

Some airborne contaminants can cause issues ( ever looked at an unprotected but genuine monochrome print in a hairdressers ? ) for processed paper, usually 'bronzing', but its rare.

Simon ILFORD Photo HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the replies.

Ok, I've rearraged the fridge so my paper will fit in there, that seems the safest option.

My camera equipment (that is not coming along for the weekend) is safely locked inside a cupboard.

Now, as for the processed prints, boxes of them, I will put them in the room that was formerly my darkroom, this stands empty right now, and is not part of the house, so that is also taken care of.

Thank you again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin