Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,858   Posts: 1,583,103   Online: 943

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

35mm Arista 400 + Rodinal 1:50 equals *severe* curling...

OK, so I have souped some 20+ rolls of Arista Premium ( Tri-X ) in Rodinal 1+50 at 20C and every time, ended up with horribly curly negs, to the point I can not even get them in the sleeves with out rounding the corners of the film off or it tears the plastic on the sleeves. I flatten them under some 20 pounds of weight for 3-4 days and while it does help, they are still quite curly and will I will always need to use a glass carrier when printing which I am NOT a fan of given the potential dust issues at this small of a format.

It has been very dry here, no snow / moisture to speak of, around 6-15% humidity.

After my stop bath, I do a quick temperature controlled rinse and then into the fix for 5-7 minutes depending on capacity left. I then use a Gravity Works film washer at the same temp for the recommended time and photo flo 1+400 for about a minute, one pass of a squeegee and hang them up in my darkroom which is virtually dust free.

I can deal with what ever it takes to prevent curling, but I can not deal with this severe curling all the time after the fact.

Any insights, tips or otherwise would be much appreciated!
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film curl has nothing to do with developer. Leave the film hanging with weights overnight and it should be nice and straight. At worst there may be some slight cupping, but that will flatten out as well.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +1 for Rick's comment.

I use the same combination (Arista Premium 400 + Rodinal 1+50), same fix time, rinse and photo flow (actually my rinse is probably less thorough but so far so good). When I hang the negs to dry, I clip an extra clothes line from the bottom of the strip of film/negs, and they dry pretty flat. If they curl at all, it's not enough to stand out in my memory.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    , ended up with horribly curly negs, to the point I can not even get them in the sleeves with out rounding the corners of the film off or it tears the plastic on the sleeves.

It has been very dry here,
    Wow, I have run into the EXACT problem... only diff is I'm souping in D76 1+1. (AP400)
    I haven't remembered ever having the cut corners tear my printfiles but it sure is doing it now.

I was coming to the conclusion it was the dry conditions here around DC but not sure. (drying in shower stall/no heat)

At least I have a use for the 1964 collection of Encyclopedia Britannia.
    2 volumes seem to be enough to flatten after 24 hours or so but dont know for sure if they will stay flat as this issue has only recently reared it's ugly head.

edit: I should correct myself after reading more thoroughly
    I'm having cupping issue not curl like some 120 rolls can do.
    I hang clothepins with a penny or 2 tape on them for weight.

CUPPING is probably the more appropriate term for my problem.
    Last edited by brucemuir; 03-28-2012 at 04:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You want the humidity to be around 30-40% when you are drying the film. Try hanging them in a wet shower stall or have a large tray of hot water sitting on the floor to "catch the drips" from the film. Full width film clips with 3 oz lead weights help as well. Even then, I noticed some films like to cup a lot, Arista 400 being one of them.
    Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One fellow, years ago, told me about a solution which actually works rather well.

Iron the negatives.

Put the iron on its lowest heat setting, and put the negative strip between two pieces of paper. Quickly and lightly press the iron down in a smooth motion. You get instantly flat negatives.

Test this out with something really curly, like Efke.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same "cupping" problem with Arista 400. Hanging it with weights overnight has no effect, I've got two large plates of glass I've sandwiched the film between for a couple of days that helps some, but its still not as flat as the film I get back from the lab. After a week or two of being smooshed between the glass (or on the bottom of my negative binder) they are pretty flat. I might try the ironing trick, I've got a bunch of shirts that need to be ironed anyway

Adam

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can also put the neg pages under some books for a few days. I used to have a problem, but my house is now not nearly as dry as it used to be (better windows, insulation, humidifier, etc). I found that putting a weight made the cupping worse, BTW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ugh cupping. Its terrible. Even after it's fully dry after a night or day of hanging. Can't get rid of it even under a stack of encyclopedias. Arista premium 400 as well.

Other films I have dry relatively flat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're gonna need some humidity when drying to slow down the process. Thats the only thing I know of that will alleviate the problem. I have a roll of Kodak Elite Chrome that cupped on me, it just happens at certain times of the year. The emulsion gets TOO dry and shrinks more than it should, resulting in a slight cup. My cure is to let it hang in the shower after steaming it up, bonus is reduced dust.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin