Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,827   Online: 1048

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Perceptol and wine bladders

Just to verify, if I make my Perceptol stock and put it in a wine bladder so there's no air in it, it should last quite a bit longer, no?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about wine bladders, but when I was teaching photography at a university in the 70's, I used 5 gallon cubes for dektol and fixer. I bought one with the mix in it, then reused over time with a spigot affair. Worked very well, kept dektol for a few months, and was still fairly light in color at the end. But I don't know about the difference in the poly.
    Try one (assuming you mean only a gallon), if it goes dark, you'll know that O2 has crept in.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd say the answer should be yes, it will last longer. As long as the winebag is impervious to air leaking in and the developer was pushed to the tap's head so little or no air is trapped in the neck of the tap then as developer gets drawn out the bag collapses because the air pressure outside is greater than inside.

My experience is that wine bags are well worthwhile

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using wine bladders for Xtol stock solution, and it has worked very well. More than six months with no perceptible problems. As is said above, you need to get all the air out before sealing the solution in the bladder. Because wine degrades with exposure to oxygen, I think the plastic is designed to be an effective oxygen barrier. I have been using "Black Box" containers, so there's also protection from light. It's also pretty good stuff for box wine...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I could verify that. I have Xtol and wine bladder for over eight months and it's still fine. The wine bladder I use is a box wine from Trader Joe's which is a double plastic liner.
    Last edited by Mainecoonmaniac; 03-30-2012 at 06:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin