Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,452   Online: 701

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Emergency Help Required regarding Sodium Carbonate

Ok I feel like a complete dolt... I have subjects coming in tomorrow to have portraits done using my Sabbatair/Solarization technique.

I am mixing the chemicals right now... as follows

metol 144grams
    sodium sulphite 440grams
    sodium carbonite 420 grams
    sodium bromide 56 grams

hot water to make 12 litres....... HORRORS ON HORRORS ... I only have 200 g of sodium carbonate.

Ok so its a form of baking soda... somewhat... is there a product at our local food store that I could use ... ie baking soda 200 grams or am I screwed.

If I cannot replace the missing 200grams what dire effect could I have by being short of this component.

I really am in a spot as our Chemical Dealer is closed, I AM A MORON FOR NOT CHECKING MY CHEMS. any help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, washing soda is sodium carbonate.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ok so can I buy washing soda at a local grocery store and be considered safe to add to my developer

QUOTE=Steve Smith;1324092]Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, washing soda is sodium carbonate.

Steve.[/QUOTE]

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Arm & Hammer makes a washing soda that should be available at Walmart, Loblaws or other super-markets around the GTA. NO clue whether it will blow you and the lab up *^)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob;

Is your Sodium Carbonate the anhydrous or the monohydrate? The Arm and Hammer is probably the monohydrate. If yours and theirs are the same, then you can use the washing soda, but if one is the anhydrous and the other is the monohydrate, then you must compensate for the difference.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Ron

Sodium Carbonate
    Dense (soda ash)
    Na2 CO3 Molecular Weight 105.99

powder

thats on the label

thanks
    Bob

I really appreciate all the fast responses

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Bob;

Is your Sodium Carbonate the anhydrous or the monohydrate? The Arm and Hammer is probably the monohydrate. If yours and theirs are the same, then you can use the washing soda, but if one is the anhydrous and the other is the monohydrate, then you must compensate for the difference.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good luck Bob !
    You are not a moron. Shit happens sometime...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can convert baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) into very pure sodium carbonate by heating it in the oven. Baking soda is USP grade and so contains fewer impurities than washing soda. Place the baking soda in a glass or SS pan and heat it at 350 F for about an hour. Stir it a couple of times during the process. The fine crystals of baking soda will change to a fine fluffy powder of anhyrous sodium carbonate.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 03-31-2012 at 02:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok Bob, then the Arm and Hammer is likely Na2CO3.H2O or 105.66 + 16 = 121.66 therefore the total using all Arm and Hammer would be 121.66 /105.66 or 1.15 x more Arm and Hammer to equal your pure anhydrous stuff.

That is, provided that the Arm and Hammer is a monohydrate. If the box does not tell you, check their web site or the MSDS for it.

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You all are the best ,,, less than one hour and my ass is saved... thank you

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin