Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,406   Online: 723

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Just used the last of my Microdol-x, what is comparable?

What is comparable to Microdol-x?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kuad View Post
    What is comparable to Microdol-x?
    Some have reported good results with Freestyle Photo's LegacyPro Mic-X Film Developer.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using Ilford Perceptol for my Minox work and find it is very similar to Microdol-X You might give that a try.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    D23
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I happen to think that there is nothing Exactly like it, the mercapto used to make it X is unique although Percptol is close (and I'm sure it uses something similar). I'm under the impression that the same company that makes Kodak's chemistry is also making the Freestyle stuff, although since the X is and remains a trade secret I don't think its identical. If you look hard enough you can find old stock. Otherwise if you're not obsessively picky (like I am) then Perceptol will do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is nothing just like it. Perceptol may be closest. With modern films, Xtol would probably do a good job. If you mix your own, Defender 5-D and Windisch 665, while quite different, are worth a look.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Microdol-X is a Metol only developer. Such devs give very fine grain, but need a stop more light. All thes developers don't last very long if dissolved -the is no redox system which may protect the Metol.

Other Metol only devs are Perceptol or Rollei RLS. RLS comes in fluid form and keeps not very long even in unopened bottles.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    D23
    D25 gives much finer grain, both were published by Kodak at the same time.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by piu58 View Post
    Microdol-X is a Metol only developer. Such devs give very fine grain, but need a stop more light. All thes developers don't last very long if dissolved -the is no redox system which may protect the Metol.

Other Metol only devs are Perceptol or Rollei RLS. RLS comes in fluid form and keeps not very long even in unopened bottles.
    It's not the Metol that's causing the speed loss it's the lower pH and restraining effect of the relatively high level of Sodium Chloride.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin