Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,396   Online: 1006

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Did you not read the original post? Go back and read it.

Developer worked just fine with other films. It's not a developer issue.
    That's kinda what I was getting at Thomas, but I suppose it is possible there is something that we're missing. I'm not going to stick my neck out and say it's "operator error" until I have proof, but I'm not going to say it's not either. There are so many variables that come into play here that it's not funny. One little thing out of whack and the whole cake is ruined. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Mark,
    I found that my latest batch of TMY2 from Maco in Germany is from the same batch as yours.
    I processed as my normal regime: EI 320, processed in Jobo 2500, pre wash 5 mins and 9 mins with XTOL 1+1 and found no problem with density. The developer was mixed from powder 6 weeks ago. It went in clear and came out clear. I will try a roll later in the week processed with no pre wash. I don't have a calibrated time for this, but at least I will be able to see if the dev is orange when it comes out.
    Dave

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Are you using straight (stock) xtol, or diluting it? If you are diluting it, make sure that you have minimum required stock developer to develop the amount of film in the tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    That's kinda what I was getting at Thomas, but I suppose it is possible there is something that we're missing. I'm not going to stick my neck out and say it's "operator error" until I have proof, but I'm not going to say it's not either. There are so many variables that come into play here that it's not funny. One little thing out of whack and the whole cake is ruined. JohnW
    If you had read through the whole string of discussion prior to this thread, you would know that it's safe to eliminate the Xtol from the picture. Delta 400 and Neopan 400 processed to exactly normal density, same as always, but not TMY-2.
    Only a pre-wash helped. After pre-washing the film, the developer came out with normal color, and the film had normal density.

That says a lot to me - not one, but TWO indications that it's a problem with the film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    If you had read through the whole string of discussion prior to this thread, you would know that it's safe to eliminate the Xtol from the picture. Delta 400 and Neopan 400 processed to exactly normal density, same as always, but not TMY-2.
    Only a pre-wash helped. After pre-washing the film, the developer came out with normal color, and the film had normal density.

That says a lot to me - not one, but TWO indications that it's a problem with the film.
    I did some searching before buying my Xtol and did see a few post similar to this. One on Flicker stating the same problem with TMY2(thin negs) and Xtol. I'm thinking it's a film problem also, but coming from Kodak it's hard to believe since their film line is so good. I do know there are hard times at Kodak right now so I suppose it could have been a breakdown in the film line somewhere. Hope it gets straightened out shortly. Thomas, I'm going to try and standardize my B&W work with Xtol replenished for film(Acros, TMY2, TMX in 120) and LPD replenished for paper. That's why I don't want any bug-a-boos while I'm trying to get this up and running or I'll just go back to WD2D+, Rodinal or DD-X. Of course your Edwal 12 developer combo shots looks darn nice also?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Tim Gray:
    The date-and-batch codes of your latest TMY2 are the same as mine. Is this 35mm? And you've developed one of those rolls in XTOL with no pre-wash and it's okay? How much XTOL do you use per roll? If you use a lot, I suspect the problem won't be as bad.

oldfaithful58:
    I'm very interested in what you get with no pre-wash. Please keep us posted, and thanks in advance for running this test.

Thomas:
    Thanks for making it clear that this is not a problem with XTOL. I should have been more clear about that.

John Weigerink and others:
    For a long time, I assumed this problem was my fault. At first, I thought my home-brews were faulty. But then XTOL failed the same way. Then I and others suspected contamination, so I scrubbed everything and tried different tanks and graduates. But other T-grain films perform fine, and a pre-wash makes TMY2 succeed also. It's narrowing down to the film, but none of us want to believe that. But if it's a problem with batch 0166, where are the other complaints? It's puzzling. I still want to believe it's my fault. Anyway, we'll soon have more feedback from other owners of batch 0166.

Mark Overton
    Last edited by albada; 04-01-2012 at 05:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
    Tim Gray:
    The date-and-batch codes of your latest TMY2 are the same as mine. Is this 35mm? And you've developed one of those rolls in XTOL with no pre-wash and it's okay? How much XTOL do you use per roll? If you use a lot, I suspect the problem won't be as bad.

oldfaithful58:
    I'm very interested in what you get with no pre-wash. Please keep us posted, and thanks in advance for running this test.

Thomas:
    Thanks for making it clear that this is not a problem with XTOL. I should have been more clear about that.

John Weigerink and others:
    For a long time, I assumed this problem was my fault. At first, I thought my home-brews were faulty. But then XTOL failed the same way. Then I and others suspected contamination, so I scrubbed everything and tried different tanks and graduates. But other T-grain films perform fine, and a pre-wash makes TMY2 succeed also. It's narrowing down to the film, but none of us want to believe that. But if it's a problem with batch 0166, where are the other complaints? It's puzzling. I still want to believe it's my fault. Anyway, we'll soon have more feedback from other owners of batch 0166.

Mark Overton
    Mark, I'm with you and hope it all gets cured rather quickly. Then we can all sleep a little easier and you can stop scratching your head. JohnW

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For those who will be running tests, I should add that:

• The problem only occurs when developing an entire roll (I've only done 36 shots). A short test-strip is always fine when using Kodak's recommended times. So please test an entire roll, 36-shots if possible.
    • I've used only enough developer to cover the reel: 220 ml for SS, and 325 ml for Paterson. I suspect that using much more developer will alleviate the problem. So please don't use an excess of XTOL.

Thanks,

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by albada View Post
    For those who will be running tests, I should add that:

• The problem only occurs when developing an entire roll (I've only done 36 shots). A short test-strip is always fine when using Kodak's recommended times. So please test an entire roll, 36-shots if possible.
    • I've used only enough developer to cover the reel: 220 ml for SS, and 325 ml for Paterson. I suspect that using much more developer will alleviate the problem. So please don't use an excess of XTOL.

Thanks,

Mark Overton
    Huh? Rather than solve the problem by using more developer, you would rather have the problem?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Huh? Rather than solve the problem by using more developer, you would rather have the problem?
    The purpose of the testing is to see if bad film is the problem. For that, we don't want to try known work-arounds such as using more dev or a pre-wash.

Mark Overton

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin