Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,043   Online: 1213

Thread: Expired Velvia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Expired Velvia

I have a box of Velvia 50 with a 2004 expiration date. It has been refriferated. What results might one expect from 8 year out of date Velvia, assuming constant refrigeration? Bill Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lotsa magenta :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm on a box of velvia from the 90's right now. No color shift whatsoever. It was always frozen. Regardless of what anyone tells you, you'll need to shoot some to find out.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just shot a roll of Velvia 50 that expired 12/2008 (it stayed in the freezer the whole time) and it came out beautifully
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are worried about the results, you can always sell the rolls on Ebay to the Lomo crowd. They might even be willing to pay more than the cost of a new box of Velvia :-)
    Henrik Lauridsen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll be fine just develop promptly after exposing.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I've just developed some expired Velvia 50 (2004) that was left in my campervan for two years (including two hot summers - it was stuck down the back of a cupboard) and it came out absolutely fine.. The worst you might see is a bit more magenta but then again older Velvia *was* more magenta anyway (they tweaked recipes even within the old RVP range).

To give you another idea, a collage had some decade out of date Astia that got lost in his campervan (maybe they like the taste of Fuji film) and that was fine too...

It always surprises me about how sensitive people have talked about film - special forces used to take film out to the desert for espionage and work for weeks in the field in searing heat and they obviously had not problems. I'm sure if you had a 'colorimeter' you could measure small drifts but I would think that they wouldn't be much worse than sample variance.

Tim

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Expired Velvia 50 tends to shift towards magenta, which I find really awful. The expired Velvia 100f I have in my freezer, however, has a lovely blueish tone.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I recently shot some Velvia 50 that expired mid 2000s (and has been refrigerated). It had a pink/purpleish cast, though I didn't know if it was old film or my developer. It looks awful on its own, but I scanned it and adjusted the colors as needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all. I exposed 6 shoots with a pinhole and another 4 using my Speed Graphic with magic lantern lens. It has gone to the processor and I should get it back this week. Next is a box of 50 Velvia 100 that is only slightly less out of date.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin