Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,330   Online: 910

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Why is my film curling so?

When I process my tri-x, t-maxx, etc... My film sure curls lengthwise a lot. What might I correct?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sheesh, another my film is too curly thread. Keep it on the hanger and weight the end, dry for 24 hours. Hang it in the shower after you steam it(the shower, not the film) for a few minutes, close the door and let it stay muggy in the room while drying. Press the cut film between the pages of a heavy tome.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing might help is drying your film with a weight on the bottom. Some film like the older type of Foma will stay curly no matter what.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    when you say "curls lengthwise" do you mean it curls around the long axis of the film? In other words, opposite edges of the film end up curling towards each other. Some of my homemade developers do that to my film and hanging with a weight does nothing to help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just ordered Fomapan 100 and 400(bulk roll).

After reading the threads with similar topics, let me wonder why does curling pose a problem.

Normally, I hang it with Paterson clips after development and cut into strips of five exposures and store in those sleeves.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    I mean the edges, not the ends, curl toward each other. Of course I hang them with a weighted clip, so curling in the other direction isn't a problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Someone suggested letting it stay in a humid environment while drying. Does drying it too fast cause it to curl (edges toward each other)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have this problem. Allowing it to dry slowly seems to help a little but still pretty curly. The only thing I can do is just let it dry, put it in negative sleeves and let it sit for few months... They will eventually flatten out. Some film tends to curl more than others. Besides it being annoying, it really does no harm in enlargers.

Placing it under weighted glass for few days did absolutely nothing.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The malady the OP is obviously refering to is called "cupping". The cause is the emulsion layer being a different substance than the base of the film, when dried it shrinks more than the base material. I have a feeling that some with this excessive problem have probably left the film in liquid for longer than necessary, causing more expansion initially, resulting in excessive shrinkage upon drying. I shoot Chinese film that most complain that it cups and curls, but have personally experienced minimal signs of it, Foma does exhibit some tendency, Ilford, Fuji, and Kodak almost none in my experience.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the only thing I've noticed is different developers do it...my Quercetin developers put a lot of curl/cupping into the film, the others don't

some of my film spends 3 or more hours in liquid without any curling issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin