Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,799   Online: 776

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Retro 400S = APX 400 ?

I just bought a roll of Retro 400S and was told that it is the same as Agfa APX 400. Does anyone know if this is so? Would the development times for Retro 400S be the same as those for APX 400?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Robert,
    I can't speak to the 400, but today I shot a roll of 120 RPX 100 and a roll of APX 100 side by side.
    I ran them both in Rodinal 1:25 for 9 mins and they seem pretty similar, with the Rollei looking a touch contrastier. I'll be really interested to print these up and see how the grain structure compares, I'd love to find an APX replacement before I shoot my remaining 70 rolls.
    BTW I don't claim to be a scientist with this stuff, just reporting my experience today

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Retro 400s is Aviapan 200, an aerial film. Quite different to APX 400.
    RPX 100 is Kentmere 100.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by piu58 View Post
    Retro 400s is Aviapan 200, an aerial film. Quite different to APX 400.
    RPX 100 is Kentmere 100.
    I've never come across Aviapan 200. What is an "aerial" film?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just go check out the Agfa website. Real deal APX films are dead and gone.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by piu58 View Post
    RPX 100 is Kentmere 100.
    Since when is Kentmere 100 available in 120 format?

(RPX 100 is available in both 35mm and 120, Kentmere 100 only in 35mm).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm curious about this film too, as I picked up a half dozen rolls (120) as part of an upcoming trip.

I'd love to hear anyone's experience shooting and printing this film.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Clearing up some of the confusion around Agfa APX and Rollei Retro films
    The company that is going to reintroduce APX 100/400 is ADOX Fotowerke GmbH in Germany.
    Adox bought a lot of the machinery from the old AGFA Leverkusen plant and hired some of AGFA Leverkusen's former engineers. (German information on the ADOX site here:- ADOX PAN 100). From what I've read in several places those films won't be made with the original recipes since Adox apparently doesn't own those but will be designed to be as close as possible. It won't be marketed under the APX name but under the name ADOX PAN 100 and 400 PROFESSIONAL. Those will be produced in 35mm, rollfilm and several sheet film formats. Release of the 100 iso films is planned for the first quarter of 2010.

Agfaphoto, the owner and producer of APX films went bankrupt in 2005, one year after is had been split of from the main company Agfa Gevaert in a management buy out. Agfaphoto is a brand name that has been licensed from Agfa Gevaert and since it's (Agfaphoto's) bankruptcy, does not produce anything, they just sell licences to photographic products manufacturers so they can sell their products under the Agfaphoto brand name.

Agfa Gevaert never went bankrupt and still produces film but NOT APX. They have no plans to reintroduce it and don't have the facilities to do so since the Leverkusen plant for APX production was sold to Agfaphoto and was sold off after the Agfaphoto bankruptcy.

Neither Lupus, nor O. Mahn GMBH (owner of the Maco and Rollei brands) nor Agfaphoto have any production facilities.

All the APX and Rollei Retro 100/400 still being sold is old stock. According to Adox several trading companies bought up old APX stock. I think they are refering to both O. Mahn GMBH (Rollei Retro 100/400) and Lupus (Agfaphoto APX 100/400). Adox also states that there is enough old stock around for it to be sold for several years to come. It seems that the Agfa APX film being reintroduced in the US is old stock owned by Lupus and sold under the licensed AGFAphoto brand name.

The Rollei replacements for Rollei Retro 100/400 (APX100/400) are Rollei Retro 80S and 400S which are not the same as APX films and are still being produced by Agfa Gevaert in Mortsel, Belgium and sold by Agfa (not to be confused with Agfaphoto) as aerial photography films (Aviphot, link here: AGFA.com - Aviphot.)

So good news for APX lovers! I'm curious to see the results from the first films and it will be great to have rollfilms on a less curly base than the Rollei Retro 100 rollfilm. That stuff is great but it curls like mad. I had to get a special anti newton glass sheet to scan them because they won't stay in my film holders.
    Source
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin