Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,529   Online: 857

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ansco 130 w/phenidone. Am I missing out?

I just started mixing my own ansco 130 and after reading about people's reactions to metol, decided to substitute phenidone (1/10 the amount of metol required). I've made several prints (high contrast subjects) and the results are pretty good. What I couldn't find in my research was what the differences are between a metol based version and one with phenidone. I wear gloves and I'm not sure how my skin would react to metol.

Would the original formula with metol produce better results?

I've also read that phenidone needs benzo when substituting for metol. If so, how much?
    Last edited by wildbill; 04-04-2012 at 08:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    c'mon
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It can take a long time to develop a sensitivity to metol. I think the way to figure it out is to do a series of test prints with each version of 130, and compare.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If an MQ formula needs 4g KBr then cut that to 2g in a PQ variant and add 20ml of 1% Benzotriazole solutio.

5 g Metol is substituded by 0.3g Phenidone, you can do your own maths

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have a good answer but in case you didn't know the Formulary sells BW-65:
    http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...per/Detail.bok

You could try that for a test. I've used it in the past and would say it was softer working compared to Dectol. Same with the phenidone based Bromophen. Blacks seem more open but it's probably just a contrast matching problem testing vs Dectol.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Vinny, use 15cc 1% benzotriazole/ liter, replacing the bromide..With Ilford WT paper, it' great..Evan Clarke

P.S. up the Carbonate to 80 g ANHYDROUS..marvelous effect on the blacks..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just out of curiosity: how far can you up the carbonate before things turn ugly? By accident I once added a lot of carbonate and the Ansco 130 turned completely black in less than 4 hours. It still worked but started staining my prints before I tossed it out.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing here, I read somewhere that metol sensitivity and the subsequent skin and respiratory reactions has lessened in recent times due to metol being more refined than it used to be. Evidently there were impurities in the metol that were the culprit in most allergic reactions. I'm I can't site the source, I seemed to have lost it. This may or may not be accurate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Variation (long life):
    Split stock solution for very long life (Muir)
    Solution A
    Sodium sulfite (anh) 40 g
    Sodium bisulfate 10 g
    Hydroquinone 11 g
    Phenidone 250 mg
    Glycin 11 g
    WTM 1 l
    Solution B
    Sodium carbonate (mono) 80 g
    WTM 1 l
    Dilute 1;1:1 for use. Add potassium bromide or benzotriazole as needed.
    (Ref: Photo Techniques, Sep/Oct 1996, pg 55)

Variation (PC130):
    Water (52C) 750 ml
    Sodium sulfite (anh) 50 g
    Ascorbic acid 18 g
    Sodium carbonate (mono) 78 g
    Phenidone 500 mg
    Glycin 11 g
    Potassium bromide 5.5 g
    Water to make 1 l
    pH (measured) = 10.1
    This looks a lot different than Ansco 130, but it is really very close to the original formula. Ascorbic acid replaces hydroquinone in about an equi-molar proportion, and phenidone replaces metol. Phenidone is not quite as superadditive with ascorbic acid or glycin as it is with hydroquinone, and the amount was adjusted accordingly.
    Dilute 1 + 1 for use. Develop for two and one half minutes.
    Based on emergence times, the PC130 appears to be considerably more active than Ansco 130, but it gives slightly slower paper speeds. The difference is about a third of a stop for the Forma paper, nearly a quarter stop for the Ilford, and almost none for the Kodak.
    Ref: APUG

Note that PC-130 does not have any chelating agents to prevent sudden death. Addition of appropriate amounts of succinic acid and triethanolamine may be helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what's MQ? original formula?
    btw, I'm not looking for a new formula, just some answers regarding what I'm using. After reading your replies, I'm just confused.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin