Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,517   Posts: 1,543,744   Online: 876

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I doubt that film will disappear before most of us are too old to shoot it. If it does I will make my own. In the 70's I experimented with making glass plates from an 1890's formula. The photographs turned out fine with the look of the era in which the formula was made. Not high tech but a decent image.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I worry more about film cameras - when will the manufacture of film cameras stop and before any one says that there are millions of used film cameras available (which is true), what about the skilled craftsmen to service and repair those film cameras? Apart from Leica and Cosina (Zeiss) who now manufactures film bodies in any volume. (Lomography?)

Christian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Less talk , more shooting. We are not immortals ourselves, even we must go one day. If we are to go then let us leave behind lots of developed negs or slides then XD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    30 July 2032
    At about 2:37 in the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by C.poulton View Post
    what about the skilled craftsmen to service and repair those film cameras?
    They are just machines designed and built by humans. Whilst there are intelligent people around (sometimes a rarity in itself) someone will be able to look at it, figure out why it doesn't work and repair it - even if it means making parts.

It might not be financially viable but it will always be possible.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Vacuum tubes are still in production. They've not been used in new designs in over 50 years.
    Well, I have designed stuff using them in the last five years.

Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    There are about 195 other countries then the USA, can't take the sheep herd behavior of Americans and extrapolatenit to the rest of the globe.
    I was surprised to learn that the US is just 4.5% of the world's population.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe because I haven't finished my breakfast yet, but I just can't understand why the evil needs to constantly creep in APUG. I sincerely hope this thread will not turn into one of the far too many here about the death of the photo-industry.

There are those pessimistic ones that spend their time thinking about the end of our art or thinking with "discolourating nostalgia" how much better the materials were when they poured more silver in it back in the old days, while the rest of us just make a print during the same time in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That will be a really dark time if film disappears. I don't care how good digital is or will be by that time, if we don't have a choice anymore that will be just plain sad.

Ok, on a positive note, that WONT happen, so we can just chill out.
    All that really matters in the end is the image, not what your using to create it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the USA, isn't the incandescent light bulb about to be phased out? I'm not sure if/how this correlates to photo film and chemistry but a lot can happen with the stroke of a pen.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would think first it would become a boutique only product. This morning, I saw rolls of 35mm Fuji 200 film at the gas station. Ten years after that stops happening, we'll see it available as a special-order product that Wal-Mart doesn't carry, and costs more, but it'll be available for at least 30 years after that in color, and probably 50 more in black and white.
    Think about it- if everyone stopped production, somebody would decide they could make money that way, and set their own price. Heck, if it was completely unavailable, I'd even consider investing in some equipment for making 35mm. It sounds like a viable market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Old-N-Feeble;1327524]In the USA, isn't the incandescent light bulb about to be phased out?QUOTE]

Please don't let that happen. I had always counted on being able to buy all my incandescent bulbs in the U.S. in the event they are eventually banned here.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin