Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,188   Online: 675

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by phelger View Post
    I compare photography with horseriding. Once everybody used horses to get from A to B. Then came the automobile and horses disappeared from streets and roads. Once everybody used film to shoot family, events and tourism. Then came digimaging and film disappeared from family, tourist etc life.
    But there are stiil - and will always be - those who want to ride a horse, and the same is - and will always be - true for silver-based film and paper.
    Maybe the choice of products will shrink but as with horses, the lower quality items will go leaving the better (and pricier) articles available.
    No reason to panic, folks!
    Peter
    Horses are much easier to make than film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    At about 2:37 in the afternoon.
    I concur!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I was surprised to learn that the US is just 4.5% of the world's population.
    Interesting, Steve... I never really thought about that. But I have thought a lot about my on-going thesis that statistics and the psychology of influence are often completely orthogonal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    Horses are much easier to make than film
    Speaking as someone who has carried a large child to term and as someone who makes film, I respectfully disagree with you!

d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Learn to make your own.

You just missed a workshop on this very topic!

Sorry.

PE
    Congratulations, Ron! I missed that news. I thought your latest workshop was another one on gaslight paper. I imagine your students will post on Ian's "emulsion101", but they are heartily invited to post on thelightfarm also. Could you maybe let them know? It would be good publicity for your next workshop. The more and the farther the word spreads, the better.

All my best,
    d

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's a fun idea,lets make a Time Capsule. A Nikon F and a dozen rolls of film. We'll wait a 100 years before opening it. What do the think the response will be from the on lookers?

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3D View Post
    Here's a fun idea,lets make a Time Capsule. A Nikon F and a dozen rolls of film. We'll wait a 100 years before opening it. What do the think the response will be from the on lookers?

Bill
    "We really wish they'd have stored that film in a freezer instead."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3D View Post
    ...A Nikon F and a dozen rolls of film. We'll wait a 100 years before opening it...Bill
    Perhaps putting the camera and film in a sealed container filled with nitrogen? Buried would keep everything below 60F, at least.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I am about 10 blocks away from Arkay Regal and their business has picked up over the last two or three years..new darkroom equipment...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We did do Azo type papers at the latest workshop, but discussed the making of an entire gamut of products at the workshop. Three EK veterans showed up for the classes and for lunch with the students. (priceless)

You know, a horse can make another horse. However, a man cannot make a horse. So, a horse is either easy or difficult depending on who or what you are and depending on perspective. If all horses vanished, there would be no more horses. That is an absolute. If all production coating equipment and photo engineers vanish, there will be no more film or paper produced commercially.

There are certainly more horse farms and breeders WW than there are film and paper factories. Therefore one is more endangered than the other.

There are more automobile plants than film and paper factories and an automobile is much simpler to design and build than a film. Now you may dispute this, but one of my Photo Engineers had a BS from GMI and was learning to design cars when he moved to our division at EK. I think he would agree with this statement after he and I discussed this subject on and off over the years.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin