Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,656   Online: 755

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When will color film become unavailable?

Nobody knows that, either. And that will cease production before black & white. After all, Kodak has dropped E6. Who predicted the date on that? (I know I predicted that they would do it, not just when.)

Ya know, PE, what about an Autochrome-like process where the color mask layer is printed with a color printer? No need to bother with potato starch (unless somebody [/i]really[/i] wanted to do that).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dufaycolor is more likely that any other color material except Dye Bleach.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    "We really wish they'd have stored that film in a freezer instead."
    and/or... "if the Nikon is really "minty" then why should it need a CLA?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    In the USA, isn't the incandescent light bulb about to be phased out? I'm not sure if/how this correlates to photo film and chemistry but a lot can happen with the stroke of a pen.
    The incandescent bulb isn't being phased out anywhere. What is happening is that sale of incandescent bulbs for general illumination (as compared to special purpose use) is being severely restricted in many jurisdictions. So it will likely be possible to obtain bulbs for your refrigerator and stove and special purpose equipment for a long time, albeit at increased cost.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As long as there is a demand there will be a supply. My concern for the long view is not so much with film as much as new film cameras. Without new entery level cameras, 35mm and MF, and good used cameras will dry up so that person who wants to try film will not be able to afford a starter camera, demand will drop. In terms of color, negative film seems to be holding up, E6 maybe Fuji will keep making as long as a world wide demand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    21st of December 2012. Nibiru is coming... :-D
    On this date if I understand correctly, the universe does not end. Their calender just resets to zero like an analog odometer.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    In the USA, isn't the incandescent light bulb about to be phased out? I'm not sure if/how this correlates to photo film and chemistry but a lot can happen with the stroke of a pen.
    No! There are new incandescant bulbs that are more energy efficient than the older ones. These will not be affected nor will special purpose bulbs. So you'll still be able to buy bulbs for your enlargers.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    On this date if I understand correctly, the universe does not end. Their calender just resets to zero like an analog odometer.
    [OT]
    Not exactly.

The December date this year is the end of the 13th Baktun in the Mayan calendar.

A Baktun is conceptually like our century, but it's 400 "years" long rather than 100 years because the Maya used a base-20 number system.

So the end of a Baktun is something few people had seen in the 2000+ year history of the Maya, who had a life expectancy of ~35 years.
    Couple this with the fact that the number 13 had great spiritual significance to the Maya, and the reason for excitement on their part is obvious.

There are five periods longer than a Baktun in the Mayan calendar. We use four digits to express our years, e.g. 2012. The Maya used ten "digits".

The end of the 13th Baktun is like when our calendar rolled over to the 21st Century. The calendar continues.
    [/OT]

- Leigh

The Mayan "year" in this particular calendric system is 360 days long.
    For anyone interested... my Mayan Calendric Calculator program MayaDate is available free at http://www.mayadate.org
    Last edited by Leigh B; 04-10-2012 at 12:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A rock band I am involved with (as a fan) reformed after 30 years. They signed a contract with a German company to release their entire back catalogue as special collectors edition albums - on vinyl.

Collectors much prefer vinyl - the classic look and feel, the much bigger sleeve for pictures, artwork, inserts. There is quite a growing demand for vinyl releases.
    There are still a hard core of DJs, too, who prefer vinyl in disco type scenarios so they can do their scratching and mixing routines.
    Many 'Audiophiles' are convinced that the best sound quality comes from a carefully pressed vinyl record via a thermionic valve / vacuum tube amplifier.

Vinyl never went away - but the market shrunk to probably a fraction of a %age of what it was. The massive consumer market is no more - but the niche markets are still doing very well.

There is no date for vinyl being unavailable in the near future.

http://www.hrrecords.de/high_roller/start.html
    http://eil.com/features/audiophile-collectors.asp
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Albums...F8&node=520022
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    There are still a hard core of DJs, too, who prefer vinyl in disco type scenarios so they can do their scratching and mixing routines.
    Many 'Audiophiles' are convinced that the best sound quality comes from a carefully pressed vinyl record via a thermionic valve / vacuum tube amplifier.
    No contest. Especially if the valve/tube amp is a proper lowish power single ended triode one. I'm listening to one just right now.

Actually, it's always been my understanding that besides the fact that it looks much cooler to mix from vinyls than CDs, the other reason is the superior bass reproduction of vinyls. Yes, it might have more detail and other nuances audiophools love, but in my opinion it's that very tight and precise bass with a well defined shape that most people can appreciate the easiest.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin