Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,034   Online: 788

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd give slide film until the end of the decade. C-41 will probably continue on longer for maybe another decade or two. B&W I could still see being around in 50+ years. Of course, I'm just talking about wide commercial access by big companies like Fuji, Kodak, and Ilford. I think there will be people who create their own emulsions or small, boutique operations well into the future. I get the horse-back riding analogy, but I think oil paint is a better example to use.

Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I feel the buyers of black and white film and paper are obviously aware of the "benefits" of digital and choose not to use it. So those of us that use it will continue to do so. What I fear is when those start dying off will the younger generation continue to pick it up? That is the question.
    Except that the young are picking up film in droves, seemingly much more enthusiastic than the 30-65 range. Sure, digital still dominates, as with any other demographic, but there is a niche of interest, particularly amongst hipsters and fine artists. Even the pure digital users of any age are finding it trendy to "emulate" film with their iPhones and post-processing software.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak has already discontinued E6 films and I would guess Fuji is not too far behind. Certainly not a decade behind.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know about Kodak. Fuji? Who knows, they do make some popular slide films. And "end of decade" is not a decade away. At most 7 years, though the post didn't say this, I could see it being anywhere between now and then. Of course , this is all just guessing.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is another maker of E-6 besides Fuji (not Kodak!). Agfa still makes a color version of Aviphot reversal film. It's an ISO 200 film, and you can get it from Freestyle and soon B&H (it's listed on their website as a new item that they are taking pre-orders for).

I would love to see someone start making a Dufaycolor (Dufaychrome?) type 35mm film, so that when subtractive reversal films cease to be produced, those of us who are fans of color reversal have an alternative that doesn't require color chemistry to be available once E-6, RA-4 and C-41 are done.

Either that or give me a 6-8MP display device for under 4 figures.
    Last edited by ME Super; 04-11-2012 at 06:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected projector to be display device
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In this age... a decade... is... a very... L-O-N-G... time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    We don't know, anything can happen. But i doubt i will live to see the end of it and I'm in my mid thirties. Others will discover film and keep the demand going. I mean it's not like i got into photography using film...i started with digital and then switched to film so others are bound to do the same.

Digital is still new relatively speaking. Maybe digital will become redundant and boring and film will become the preferred medium of another generation for some reason. Maybe there will be so much automation and gimmicks with digital that most with any artistic incline will just simply have enough and look for something more fulfilling. This is not unrealistic you know, every new digital camera has more silly features and automatic this and thats.

Actually digital may be replaced before the demise of film.

What is dangerous is increasing the prices of film, like with anything there is a point.
    Last edited by Alexis M; 04-11-2012 at 09:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the 50s or thereabouts, Silver cost about $1 / Oz. It is now probably close to $30 / Oz. So, the price of film will go up just due to the cost of starting materials. Labor likewise.

Digital is coming down due to being on a learning curve for production and innovation.

PE

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still waiting for that EMP so I can say "I told ya so!"
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    for those who speak french: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxQybr7FOQE

i feel it's far from over for film, quite the opposite.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the state of film and analog photography would be much worse than it is if it weren't for great internet sites like APUG and ebay. These and others will go along way to keeping analog photography alive in the future.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin