Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,321   Posts: 1,536,859   Online: 1115

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it will be November 19, 2037 at exactly 22:46:13 EST.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    127 Format
    Ironically it is Electronic Enlargers (scanners) that is keeping film alive. Yet we are not allowed to speak of that here.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Ironically it is Electronic Enlargers (scanners) that is keeping film alive. Yet we are not allowed to speak of that here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    In the 50s or thereabouts, Silver cost about $1 / Oz. It is now probably close to $30 / Oz. So, the price of film will go up just due to the cost of starting materials. Labor likewise.

Digital is coming down due to being on a learning curve for production and innovation.

PE
    The trend looks like it may drop back to 2005-2009 ($10/oz) prices over some time though.

Also people shoot a lot more Fujichrome than they did Ektachrome.

The only people I've seen or heard of shooting Ektachrome have been a couple students playing with EBX sold in stores.

Everyone that shoots chrome has been shooting Velvia, with a side amount of Provia, for as long as I can remember.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm from Ontario.
    GOT IT
    Ronald

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Athiril is right, we chrome shooters will only use Velvia (for punch and Ilfochroming, in a past-tense sense) or Provia for neutral contrast. And still heaps and heaps of Velvia, Provia and other Fuji chrome films are being consumed (and I believe E6 processing demand is rising now). I don't foresee any danger now or in the future to the availability of chrome film. Think along the lines of the guy at IBM who declared, "I think there's a world market for perhaps 5 computers...".
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm guessing that more than a few people on APUG have friends, etc. that like bringing old cameras back to life: cameras from flea markets, junk shops, etc. I think those people are important to the film market, as they keep film going too, don't they?
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Here's how you determine the correct answer : go to Yucatan and make paper rubbings over the Mayan calendar stone. Bring it back here and run it through a paper shredder. Reassemble in a big
    ball in a cement mixer like paper mache. Run over it with one of the highway asphalt rollers. Place in
    your damn scanner and see what it says. The result will probably be more accurate than any BS you
    might read elsewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Athiril is right, we chrome shooters will only use Velvia (for punch and Ilfochroming, in a past-tense sense) or Provia for neutral contrast. And still heaps and heaps of Velvia, Provia and other Fuji chrome films are being consumed (and I believe E6 processing demand is rising now). I don't foresee any danger now or in the future to the availability of chrome film. Think along the lines of the guy at IBM who declared, "I think there's a world market for perhaps 5 computers...".
    I just wish they'd bring back Astia. (And yes, folks who are about to tell me it's not gone, it IS, it has been discontinued, but is still readily available in 120 and 4x5 from existing stock. Try to find some in 35mm in the US though.) Even Provia is just too contrasty for many occasions for my tastes. I switched to E100G when Astia was discontinued and I really like it too but now...at least it's still readily available. I'm slowly buying a stock that will last a while, anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm one of the few who prefers Kodak slide film. That way there will be plenty for me in the next few years.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin