Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,268   Online: 821

Shooter
    35mm

Ilfotec DD-X and expiration

Hi,

Does anyone here know if Ilfotec DD-X changes colour from clear to yellowish-brown in the same way that D76 does upon expiring or becoming excessively oxidized? I'm thinking of switching to DD-X for my general-purpose developer, and it would be handy if it had this property, as my rather infrequent shooting means that it would take quite a number of months to work my way through a whole bottle. I don't want to ruin a roll of film due to worn-out developer without it giving me some warning. I tried to find this information on Ilford's website but to no avail.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Leglifter View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone here know if Ilfotec DD-X changes colour from clear to yellowish-brown in the same way that D76 does upon expiring or becoming excessively oxidized? I'm thinking of switching to DD-X for my general-purpose developer, and it would be handy if it had this property, as my rather infrequent shooting means that it would take quite a number of months to work my way through a whole bottle. I don't want to ruin a roll of film due to worn-out developer without it giving me some warning. I tried to find this information on Ilford's website but to no avail.
    I have no experience with DD-X, but here's a thread where a fellow says it turns yellow when going bad. Scroll to the bottom of this page.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've had only one DD-X failure, my basement apparently got cold enough to crystallize it. I've had no trouble with open bottles up to a year old, so if you expect to use a bottle in 3-9 months, have no fears. Pricey, but great results.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's good to know. Thanks for the replies.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin