Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,167   Online: 745

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annemarieke
    Sergio, it is quite easy to load two 120 rolls onto one reel (I use plastic Patterson reels). I don't load them 'back to back', but one after the other. There is plenty of space on the reel to do that. The first rollfilm is pushed all the way to the core of the reel and the second one can easily be loaded onto the reel.

It saves on chemicals and time.

Anne Marieke
    I've tried more than once Anne with no luck. The second roll always overtakes the first one and a whole of a mess happens. I even tried to use the sticky tape to tape them together, pretty impossible to do it right in the dark.

Any hints as to how you do it?
    Do you "just do it" or is there a fine print somewhere?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently taken to putting a little kink in the corners of trailing edge of the first film. This doesn't stop the film loading (I use Jobo plastic spools, where you can push the film round by the edges), and does seem to stop the second overlapping the first.
    Heat or light; it depends on your sensitivity.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David,

a while ago a german magazine ("Foto Hobby Labor") proved that leaving the tape on might influence your washing - the thiosulfate in the fixer penetrates the tape and resides there, contaminating the washing water and resulting in a longer washing period.

Caveat: I have only found reference to this article, never read the article myself. But the idea "sounds right", it is basically the same what happens with washing baryta papers.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    I've tried more than once Anne with no luck. The second roll always overtakes the first one and a whole of a mess happens. I even tried to use the sticky tape to tape them together, pretty impossible to do it right in the dark.

Do you "just do it" or is there a fine print somewhere?

I make sure the first roll is _completely_ in the core of the reel, by pushing it in as far as it will go and then twisting the reels a few times and pushing it even further in. Then the second roll goes in without any problems. I have never had the problem of overlapping film.

I never use the sticky tape and actually always make sure that I have taken that off, because I cannot imagine that the chemicals in the tape don't interfere with the developer and/or fixer.

Somebody once told me that there is a gadget that you can clip on at the end of the first roll, which then pulls in the second roll, but I have never been able to find it.

Anne Marieke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm a little puzzled.

In loading two films onto a JOBO reel, the "red tab" is first retracted; the first roll loaded to the center of the spool; the "tab" pressed in, preventing an override (I check with a fingernail);the second loaded to - after the start of the spiral (don't be too energetic); the tank assembled - and the fun begins.

I can't quite understand the apparent omission of the "red tab" information...?

I routinely strip the anchoring tape from the film - in those cases where, in error, I have not - I can't notice one damn whit of difference.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always left the tape on the film. Whatever benefit may be derived from removing it is offset by my ham-handedness in the dark in trying to get the tape off. I used Paterson plastic tanks and reels when I first started darkroom work. Later I started using stainless. For me it was easier to load 35mm on the plastic reels but it is easier to load 120 on stainless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram

taping together-wise, I just do it and find it really easy ... I leave one film ith the sticker on, and take it off the other, then line up the ends feeling that the sides are flush and stick down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    uhh i just fold the tape under. it helps to stick the 120 onto the spool catch latch thingy. never any problems. never.

peel, tuck and roll.

might save your life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use SS Hewes reels- is it possible to get two rolls of 120 on these? Has anyone done it?

Images
    Good Morning, David,

With 120, I've always left the tape on, folded it around the end of the film, and proceeded to load. It adds a little stiffness and thickness, but I never have any problem puncturing that area with the center spike of Kinderman reels. Really hadn't thought about possible chemical contamination, but that seems like a minimal possibility.

Konical

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin