Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,220   Online: 788

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Leaving tape on roll film during processing

As long as I’ve read newsgroups, there have been ongoing debates about metal vs. plastic developing reels. Regarding how difficult (some say) it is to load metal reels:

I’ve been doing this a long time, and have used metal reels since I was able to afford them – maybe 30+ years. After some experience, I have been able to load these with no problem – it just takes a little practice and a little patience.

However, when I first started, I had the habit of leaving the tape on roll film on the film (the tape that holds the film to the paper backing). I would fold the tape back over the edge of the film, and that gave the clips in the reel something to hold on to. As I got good at it, I stopped doing this.

Tonight, I developed a roll of 120, and left the tape on – for no other reason than I thought about this debate over reels. Then, as I was souping the film, it occurred to me that there could be a possible chemical problem with doing so. I never had a problem years ago, and tonight’s film looks fine, but I thought I’d throw this open to the learned minds on APUG for comment.

If there is no down side, leaving the tape on could help some people load their reels …

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David,
    I have always left the tape on the end of the film for the same reason - that and being a little too lazy besides. I have never notice any ill affects from this practice.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On very rare occasions I've had particles of the tape come loose and stick elsewhere on the film, generally someplace very annoying. I've gotten in the habit of peeling the tape off completely when loading roll film.
    Gary Beasley

Eugene W Smith was able to load two 35mm films in one metal reel, one back to the other. I have never tried to load even one in metal reel (35 or 120). I always used Paterson plastic reel and cutting off the paper tape in order to avoid what glbeas said before.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've never noticed a problem, but if you reuse developer or maintain a tank line with replenished chemistry, the tape and adhesive can build up and deposit itself on the film. I suppose this could even be a problem with reused fixer, though I haven't particularly noticed it myself, and I reuse film fixer. It may depend on how much film you process and how much you're putting through the same solutions. I suspect that for most people who aren't running a professional film lab, the tape isn't anything to worry about.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I load 120 direct from the spool, allowing the paper backing to fall away as I load. Thus, the tape is at the wrong end for me. Unless it's really cold and dry, where the release of static is a problem, I usually remove it, as I've had problems with debris attaching itself to the film during processing. I suspect the debris is actually paper fibers that have come loose from the tape, rather than bits of the tape itself.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

I use Patterson plastic reels and I photograph a lot of kids, and that one shot could be the great one.

Therefore I try to eliminate any possible Murphy's Law variables that could occur.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Images
    I've loaded onto both metal and plastic. I don't think one is easier or better than the other. I also have never removed the tape and have not had problems. Of course that being said I better find some wood to knock on. Like Ralph my tape end is at the end of the roll. Maybe that is what makes the difference. I fold it over and tape it to the other side of the film.

So what is the dabate all about? The plastic VS steel or the tape?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio caetano
    Eugene W Smith was able to load two 35mm films in one metal reel, one back to the other. I have never tried to load even one in metal reel (35 or 120). I always used Paterson plastic reel and cutting off the paper tape in order to avoid what glbeas said before.
    Sergio, it is quite easy to load two 120 rolls onto one reel (I use plastic Patterson reels). I don't load them 'back to back', but one after the other. There is plenty of space on the reel to do that. The first rollfilm is pushed all the way to the core of the reel and the second one can easily be loaded onto the reel.

It saves on chemicals and time.

Anne Marieke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i also load two 120s on on one plastic reel, but I use the tape to stick the films end to end. I have tried not doing this in the hope that the 2nd film will push round the 1st, but I alwys get overlaps and undeveloped film tht way. I have never noticed any chemical probs, but to be certain, once out of the wash water, I hang the film to dry with the tape end down and cut it off with some scissors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin