Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,826   Online: 991

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Harry: What an interesting post! Are you inferring that Freestyle is selling TriX that is rebadged?
    It's an open secret.

Arista Premium 400 is made in the USA and Kodak is the only company that still produces film here.

Once developed you'll see Tri-X 400 printed on the edge. Newer batches say Arista Premium 400.

It looks, smells and develops just like Tri-X.

I have about 200 rolls in my fridge and it's the biggest bargain around.

Freestyle won't or can't admit to this for whatever legal reasons there are, but if you joke about it with them in the store they won't confirm it, but also not deny it.

PS: Arista Premium 100 is basically Plus-X 125. Or least that is what I have heard.
    Last edited by Harry Lime; 04-12-2012 at 04:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    eny it.

PS: Arista Premium 100 is basically Plus-X 125. Or least that is what I have heard.
    Sadly no longer available. ....such is life
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    I also love Freestyle. When I was looking to get into developing my own film after I finished my photo 1 class 3 years ago, I had a lot of questions. When I called them, they took the time to explain the basic differences between developers, stop bath,fixer, etc. I eventually settled on the Arista brand because it gave me the most bang for the buck. After 2 years of developing my own B&W, I wanted to get into C-41 and again, they took the time to explain the different kits, I settled on the Unicolor kit, when I decided to change to the rollei, and the chemicals went bad way too soon, they took them back without a fuss and after doing this twice, I decided to just stick with the Unicolor kit for now. They have been a great asset and its wonderful to do business with a store that believes in serving the customer. It seems that all the people answering the phones do analogue photography and know the answers to the questions. I love them!

Shooter
    35mm
    Both Freestyle and B&H have good service, ad I have been buying from freestyle since those text filled ads in Popular Photo, featuring outdated Ansco and Dupont film.

Once a package from freestyle arrived at the local post office after having been "forked" in shipment, before I accepted it I called them and they told me to refuse it and without waiting they reshipped the order. That is going far beyond their policies to make a transaction frictionless.

B&H is also very good, and the deal that they have with Purolator is a revelation for those of us in eastern Canada. You can fill a cart, and get the exact shipping and sales tax amount before you buy. You get the order 2 or 3 days later. They are quite forward about their store hours which are in line with a major religion so unless you need something "right now" they can be worked around. It is not like they hold you money for the couple of weeks that they are closed..

In both cases there still is the problem of getting items that are ORM-D shipped, B&H does not ship them anywhere, and Freestyle can't ship them to canada. (B&H has many items on their website that are only sold in person in NYC.)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    I have been a freestyle customer since 1956. At that time, they were mostly a government and Hollywood surplus dealer, but they still carried a great variety of quality products at excellent prices. As time went on, they shifted toward professional and educational products direct from manufacturers. Prices went up, and they are still a bit higher than some other places - but that is what you expect for a store that stocks such a variety. Freestyle remains an outstanding supplier of photographic supplies.
    Well, you have me beat by a couple of years. I think it was 1958, when I was in college, I started ordering movie film from them. Been a customer ever since.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I live several thousand kilometres away, and Freestyle routinely delivers stuff within 5 days. I don't know how they do it - no other supplier seems able to... I've said it before, they're ace. Buying film locally in Australia is positively loony... have four boxes of TXP320 and some Fuji MF film currently on order.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    President, Melbourne Silver Mine Inc.
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/
    http://silvermine.org.au

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Been using them since the late '80s here. Even when living in HI, they were excellent, with no problems. AND they carry the brands I want/use.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin