Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,290   Online: 893

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which finish?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Glossy seems to have more depth to the blacks for me- maybe this is just an optical illusion? OTOH, too much gloss can be a bad thing- I guess it depends on the subject matter.

Strange but true confession:

I also sometimes use carnuba wax on matte prints- I have gotten several positive compliments on the resulting surface- but it is a lot of work, and may not be archival? Anyone else ever tried waxing or am I a real weirdo on this one?

I find that David Goldfarb speaks for most of us on most things...

besides wax, people also use oil or varnish to "finish" matte paper. Does anyone know more about how you would do this?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I usually use glossy for landscape work since it is more revealing. For portrait work, I prefer matte. It feels like cotton and looks like a painting.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I prefer pearl, I have been using RC. I do have a box of glossy that I've been using, only because it was given to me free. I also have some matte FB and I want to get some more FB, not sure what I will try first. How does drying FB differently change the finish? I wasn't aware of that. I don't have a dryer so anything would be air dried.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alas I feel my printing is only good enough for myself and the acknowledgeable pub so I haven't reached the stage of being confident to take part in the postcard exchange yet.

I think for me the comment on Matt that "It feels like cotton and looks like a painting" has hit the nail on the head, possibly a timeless look. The waxing of Matt prints sounds quite intriguing.

I think I may try Pearl RC selenium toned on prints smaller than 8"x10". Must admit I think I'm getting a fibre fetish as I loved RC until I printed lots of fibre in succession. Now RC feels stiff and lifeless when I'm working with it and isn't as pleasurable.

Many thanks for your thoughts and experience once again everyone, it's been as always very informative and enlightening

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been using the Pearl RC as well and prefer it over glossy for rc. I've been using KRST 1:5 for 4-5 mins and it seems to tone ok for me. But what do I know I'm a newb . Ymmv,

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb_z5
    I've been using the Pearl RC as well and prefer it over glossy for rc. I've been using KRST 1:5 for 4-5 mins and it seems to tone ok for me. But what do I know I'm a newb . Ymmv,

Mike
    Greetings and welcome then Mike I loved Pearl RC untoned until I got onto fibre, but I'll give it a go with toned for my smaller prints to see how it looks. thank you for the dilution and times

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    TP,

If you're on the fence why not keep both papers around? That way you can choose the finish that best matches the photograph.

Cheers,

James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony,
    I prefer FB glossy, air dried for my important images. For non-important stuff, I use MG IV Pearl.
    I have played around with MG FB Warmtone (glossy) and like it very much. I like having the choice between those two papers.
    $0.02 deposited.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    James I've thought about that, but if possible I'd like to create a consistent look accross my work. I may be hoping or expecting too much being able to print all pictures on the same finish but different grades of course.

Gene the warmtone does bring in another variable of course as again it's a beautiful material to work with.

Many thanks to you both for your comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin