Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,642   Online: 1101

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which finish?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Matt works well for handcoloring as the dmax is less and it has some tooth.

Other than that I would neither use that surface nor RC. Basically , I use graded fiber glossy papers. Finish prints are always toned. Finished means ready for the wall or for the buyer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Ann, it's looking like Glossy Fibre is the favourite choice with most people. I always remember that when I tell people I shoot and print traditional b&w they always comment on the beautiful shades and shine they associate with it. Happily I won't be doing professional stuff anymore so no need to worry about buyers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Sparx so why Matt for you?
    I just like the look and feel of the matt paper better. I've used Jessops matt and Ilford pearl as well as the gloss from both these companies and, like i said, matt every time. I find the image harder to focus on with gloss because of the additional reflection and i also think you lose some detail and grain, especially when shooting faster film.

Just my opinion of course.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Air dried glossy 95% of the time. Far greater depth for landscapes, which IMHO is essential. I use matt for some portraits. I dont feel Matt has that 'walk in' feel.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I was taking photo classes back in college I grew a strong distaste for Glossy RC. I never liked the way it felt, and it annoyed me to no end during critiques since I could never seem to find a position to look at them without having a glare obscuring half the image. So I ended up working with pearl and semi-matte for RC which I like.

When I started doing Fiber work I went strait to matte because of the bad taste the glossy rc left me. But last night I made my first Glossy Fiber prints, and damn, I like them. Glossy on fiber seems to be a much different beast then glossy on RC.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Air dried glossy fiber usually Ilford Warmtone or Bergger.

I never use RC except to proof and then it's pearl.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sparx know what you mean about the grain

The Glossy RC I liked until I got onto Pearl RC, then I felt the Glossy RC was too glossy.

Then to confuse things I moved onto Fibre. Now I like the look of both the Glossy and Matt Fibres. The trouble is each finish brings with it their own unique look and feel to the picture. If I print the same picture on both finishes I like them both, but for different reasons and can't decide which I prefer.

Mmmm maybe I should confuse things even more and try the Semi-matt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin