Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,499   Online: 984

Shooter
    Medium Format

Redo Sulphide Toning?

On some prints i have overdone indirect toning with sulphide toner (Moersch MT3). Is it possible to reconvert the silver sulphide into silver to start again with the same print?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    sorry, but the silversulphide which makes the brown tone is very resistent against the bleach.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jochen View Post
    Hello,
    sorry, but the silversulphide which makes the brown tone is very resistent against the bleach.
    if it were this easy, i would not bore the apugers with such a post. any other ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As i know bleach with potassium permanganate and sulphur acid must work in this case,though not tried it personaly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello together,
    a bleach with potassium permanganate/sulfuric acid or potassium dichromate (carcinogenic!)/sulfuric acid as known from reversal processes would remove the complete silver, the sulphide anions will be oxidized to sulphate. What is needed to reconvert the silver into silver sulphide would be a bleach which makes a rehalogenation to silver bromide. The bleach bath consisting of potassium hexacyanoferrate(III) and potassium bromide cannot convert silversulphide into silber bromide. The best way is to make new prints and to make trials with pieces of scrap prints before. The correct effect of toning is only visible after drying.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin