Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,653   Online: 1137

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ilford Ortho Plus

I have a pack of Ilford Ortho+ 4x5 and was wondering 2 things:

Am i right in thinking i can load/unload/develop under red safelight?

How is it for still life work?

I've never used it before but when i get back to uni next week i'll be able to test it out. Any extra info from anyone who's used it before would be great

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes you can handle this under a red safelight and you can use it in a camera, but remember it does not have full spectrum sensitivity, hence use under red safelight. Ortho is useful for many applications, such as neg/pos conversion, Sabatier, bas relief to name just a few.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You can use it under red light but a very dim one. It's a quite fast film (ISO 80) so it has to be handled at least two meters from the red light.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been using Rollei Ortho 25 for supremely sharp & fine-grained images since 2007. It's an amazing film. Didn't know Ilford was producing it once again.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use it and do not open it under any safelight, no sense chancing ruination. Treat it like any other B&W film but without red sensitivity. Shooting people with it will give interresting results, the darker complexion the more detail shows up in the skin, quite unflattering. Skys blow out and render white without decent filtration, and red filters are useless. Rate it half speed under tungsten light. It's blue and green sensitive so anything red will render as black.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    I've been using Rollei Ortho 25 for supremely sharp & fine-grained images since 2007. It's an amazing film. Didn't know Ilford was producing it once again.
    Ilford's never stopped making it. I used the Ilford Ortho film extensively for many years, it's very fast for an Ortho film and will fog unless you have the correct safelight and working conditions (distance from the safelight). We preferred to use it in darkness.

Aside from that it has fairly similar characyeristics to FP4 apart from it's lack of red sensitivity which you'd need to take into account when shooting still life work or landscapes. Like all ortho films it has a different daylight speed compared to when it's used with tungsten lighting.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin