Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,523   Online: 1214

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images

Does bleach work with rapid fixer?

Hi, I want to use some pot. ferricyanide to bleach in combination with fixer. Plain hypo (sodium thiosulfate) is recommended. Was wondering if Ilford rapid fix would work, since I don't have plain hypo right now? I plan on mixing a small amount and using a brush.

Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes it does, it what I use, but it does exhaust the ferri faster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys

Excuse my simple question but what is the benefit of mixing bleach and fix?

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    Guys

Excuse my simple question but what is the benefit of mixing bleach and fix?

Phill
    Two different reactions. If you bleach with ferri only, you can redevelop the print/negative, if you bleach with ferri/fix you completely remove the silver and the process is irreversible. Also the action is faster.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I think with fix added may be less prone to yellow staining also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jorge

Apols for the 'basic' question, but my knowledge of this practice is non-existent as I have never played with bleach. So I was even unaware you could re-develop. I assume then with fixer you need to be 'very' careful not to over do it. Interestingly I have a print from last weeks EM10 trials that requires a highlight sparkle.

Thats what I love about analogue I think I will try some pot ferri if I can find some.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    No apology needed Phil....good luck with the bleaching.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Thanks for your help Jorge. Will give it a try.

Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use 24ml 17% hypo, 24ml water, and 1/8 tsp KFcyanide. Vary the later to regulate how fast you want the bleach to work. Keep as stream of water immediately below the area you are bleaching. Periodically run water over bleach area. Every few minutes, immerse in fixer for 1-minute before return to bleaching. Bruce Barnbaum's book, "The Art of Photography", has a complete discussion on this - and, it is a very good book for photographer to have in their library.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    Bruce Barnbaum's book, "The Art of Photography", has a complete discussion on this - and, it is a very good book for photographer to have in their library.
    Excellent, I ordered a copy last week and its winging its way to me as I write

Thanks to all for the info and to Jon for the thread

Phill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin