Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,078   Online: 781

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Peter and welcome to APUG. Just be sure to label your chemicals and use in the proper order, for the right time/temp. and try again.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi everybody! Thanks for your replies. Yes, I always use separate types of bottles (black "accordion" storage bottle for developer and brown opaque for the fixer). Also, they are kept on opposite sides of the sink. I mix the ID-11 at 40° as on the package. It is possible that the water I used to make the stock developer was contaminated with fixer. I use distilled water, and come to think of it, I used totally new distilled water for the 40° mix of developer, but then finished it off with another bottle. My kid and I use the darkroom, and it's possible that he decanted his used fixer back into an empty water bottle instead of back into the fixer bottle. Seeing as how the overwhelming response is "must have fixed it first", that is a possible solution (no pun intended!). I'm going to test it again with a few roles of FP4 to see what happens. Thanks so much everybody!
    Pete

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do a film clearing test on your developer: drop a stretch of undeveloped film leader in the ID-11 you used. When it clears completely within a few minutes you know for sure it is fixer. You normally run this test to see if your fixer is still fresh enough, but it could be used this way too, i guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aah! You have another person using the same darkroom. You need to agree on some rules or procedures so that everybody does things the same way.

It doesn't matter whether it's your kid or the ghost of Ansel Adams. Everybody who works there needs to understand the rules.

I'm not saying that you need to be Fascist about it. You just need some ground rules so that everybody is on the same page.
    Chemistry goes "here" and in this order. Never pour solutions back into a bottle of stock.
    Sensitized goods (film/photo paper) is always stored in "this" drawer. Never open it without double checking the lights.
    If the darkroom door is closed, always knock upon entering even if you think you're the only one there. Better yet, make a "Darkroom in Use" sign and make sure the sign gets flipped to the "Occupied" or "Vacant" at the proper times.

I know it sounds simplistic and stupid but, whenever there are two people working in the same place, stupid accidents are bound to happen unless everybody understands what the others are doing. The best way to make sure that everybody understands what the others are doing it so set some rules to make sure that everybody does things the same way.

Besides... You're the Dad and he's the kid. It's your job to make the rules. Right?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cullen View Post
    It is possible that the water I used to make the stock developer was contaminated with fixer. I use distilled water, and come to think of it, I used totally new distilled water for the 40° mix of developer, but then finished it off with another bottle. My kid and I use the darkroom, and it's possible that he decanted his used fixer back into an empty water bottle instead of back into the fixer bottle.
    Hey Pete,

Though it may have caused you a problem, it's admirable your kid's into it...

At least he's not pouring it down the sink, you already are teaching him responsibility!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Had to chuckle again at this today. It's the last thing in the world I would have expected.

My daughter's hanging out in the darkroom with me. She made the Dektol labels (I taped them on though)...

Shooter
    35mm
    I wouldn't store developer in accordion bottles.They leak air. this could compromise your developer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ahhh, that brings back memories. When I took Photo 1, I accidentally put the fixer in first, I knew there was a problem when the water came out pink (It usually came out clear), looked over and realized I had put the fixer in first. The assignment was due that day, so I had to go out and shoot 2 more rolls of film and develop within an hour.
    After that, I always double and triple checked that the developer went in first!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardDvorin View Post
    I wouldn't store developer in accordion bottles.They leak air. this could compromise your developer.
    I agree totally Howard, they're useless for storing developer. Been there done that. I use de-labelled plastic drink bottles with airtight caps and my 2008-mixed ID-11 is fine; except for one bottle I stored in a glass bottle with a non-airtight cap. you can guess what happened when i developed a film with that one... lesson learnt. :-D

Cheers,
    kevs.
    testing...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin