Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,784   Online: 871

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Andrew;
    Seeing that you are using a waistlevel finder, do a quick check. With the lens off and the mirror up, take a flashlight and shine down into the viewfinder and see if there is any light leaks into the mirror chamber. Of course do this in a darkened room. Best of luck, Steven.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Excellent suggestion. You could also load a film, put the camera in bright sunlight and make several exposure at different angles to the sun, at the shutter speed that the problem occurred in the first place.

Also let direct sunlight shine onto the dark slide slot (vary the angle) and see what happens to the film.

Not saying that this is a light leak per se, just trying to exclude it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Kevs, Matt, Steven and Sandermarijn.

Well, if it's flare from the rapids then not much I could have done about it as a lens hood would not have helped, and I'm already using multicoated filters. I'll take the Bronnie out in the sun this weekend as Sandermarijn suggests and shoot a roll with the lens cap on, with the same shutter speed I used here and varying the sun angle. That should find any light leaks. In any case I shall definitely add a lens hood to my next order from KEH.

Anyhow, last night I made the best print I could from the neg (removed all dust from the neg and holder, dodged the far bank of the river more to lighten the shadow, and reduced overall exposure by 1/4 stop so the rapids sparkle), and I'm pleased with it. Flare or light leak notwithstanding!

Thanks to everyone for all the help,
    Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 04-16-2012 at 03:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snederhiser View Post
    Hello Andrew;
    Seeing that you are using a waistlevel finder, do a quick check. With the lens off and the mirror up, take a flashlight and shine down into the viewfinder and see if there is any light leaks into the mirror chamber. Of course do this in a darkened room. Best of luck, Steven.
    Thanks Steven, excellent suggestion. I'll try that tonight!

Andrew

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snederhiser View Post
    Hello Andrew;
    Just an update - I tested as suggested, both with mirror up and with mirror down, and did not see any light leaks.

I also checked the light seal between the back and the body (thanks kevs for the suggestion) and there is a small area, about 2mm on the top left of the body (as seen when looking from the back) where the black coating has rubbed off, leaving a reflective surface. The position of this reflective surface would translate into the bottom right-hand corner of the printed image. When I trace the edges of the mark on the print, I can imagine them converging at the bottom right of the image. So I think it's possible that a reflection from the worn surface is just kissing the film plane when it reaches the far side of the image. I'll test for light leaks using film over the weekend - possibly try half a roll at various angles to the light and then re-blacken this area and repeat the exercise on the other half a roll to see if it solved the problem.

I can't find krylon 1602 (mentioned in another thread as being the best flat black available) locally, but a hobby shop near me stocks Tamiya XF-1 flat black acrylic, so I think I'll try that unless anyone has a better suggestion...

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 04-16-2012 at 04:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin