Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,477   Online: 1101

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    part of it looks almost like a light leak where it is bleeding across the sprocket holes into the frame...
    --------------------------------

APS, 35mm, 120, 4x5 and a Deardorff & Sons 4x5 Special under restoration.

I don't care the format, as long as it's film!

Flickr Pages - Here

Blogs - Here and Here

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jack, what kind of reels and tanks are you using? You definitely have some kind of light leak, where it's around the sprockets and all. The pattern looks similar to a roll of 120 that's been exposed to bright light, or your camera seals are bad.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I saw this problems many times when I began teaching at a community college. There is a solution.

Do you use Photo Flo? If so, do you put the reels in it?
    If so, scrub your reels with a tooth brush and hot water, then switch to LFN.
    Photo Flo builds up on reels and acts as a catalyst to the developer.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some responses to the above...

Using Hewes stainless reels. I do use a drop or two of Photo Flo, but I clean the reels pretty well between loads. Will try more thorough cleaning.

Never heard of "friction fog" but I do tend to grip the edges quite firmly when loading the reels. Will try lessening the pressure.

Since this is happening with 2 different cameras, I'd dismiss the idea of a camera leak, but that last spot spreading across the sprocket holes makes me wonder if I have issues with the reels AND a light leak in one camera.

I'm planning to shoot a couple of rolls over the weekend to test everything I've learned here. Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't dismiss the idea of a light leak in a camera until you have checked it and eliminated the possibility. Don't just guess.

I had a very similar problem with black marks happening on my film. I also use two cameras. A Pentax ME Super and a Pentax Super Program.
    I thought both cameras were good until I started getting marks on the edges of the film. I didn't think much of it because it was only on the very edges but, over time, the marks got worse.

I checked my bulk loaders to no avail. I even loaded film in complete darkness to totally rule out problems with the loaders. Still negative results.

Finally, the marks got so bad that they were fogging the bottom of the image. I finally had to go back and check both cameras.
    I rolled up half a roll in each. I rolled the film, loaded and unloaded them in the dark.
    The first picture on each roll was a sign "ME Super" or "Super Program" just to make sure I didn't mix the rolls up.

Turns out the ME Super was leaking light and cooking film. Just as a double check, I loaded it again and taped the camera shut with black gaff tape. This time, no leaks.
    Verified. It was the camera even though I was "sure" it wasn't a problem.

Lesson learned: Never guess. Always verify.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like two different issues to me one of which has been addressed (friction fog). The other... where the fog is softer and shows repetition of the sprockets... that looks like a darkroom light leak to me. Maybe somone forgot to switch off the safelight... or maybe there's a bit of outside light leaking in. Those square patterns sure do look like the "leak" occurred while the film was already on the reels.

Shooter
    35mm
    Happens to me all the time. Nothing serious, I don't worry too much about it. Doesn't affect the print at all.

-R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo12458 View Post
    Happens to me all the time. Nothing serious, I don't worry too much about it. Doesn't affect the print at all.

-R
    I agree with that only to a certain extent.

If the problem stays confined to the very edges of the film and doesn't get any worse, I agree. Don't sweat it.
    However, the problem can get worse and it can happen over time. If it does get worse, you could end up with cooked film when you least expect it and, according to Murphy, it will happen when you are taking your most imporatant pictures.

My advice is to double check your camera, your loader, your reels and your tanks to see if you can find the problem. If you can't find the cause, keep your eyes open but don't fret. Just watch to be sure that it doesn't get worse.

If it doesn't, don't worry. If it does, stop and figure out what's wrong before your pictures get cooked.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I looked through all the images you posted, and on close inspection, they don't seem to have the sort of pattern I'd expect from light leaks. I'd suspect what others have raised, but maybe also question your agitation style, as a shot in the dark, so to speak.

One test that occurs to me, but will cost you a roll of film, to rule out the cameras and camera based light leaks: develop a roll of unexposed film. You'll develop the edge letters, and I bet you'll still see the marks, exactly as with the exposed film, if it is reel induced or induced by, for example, agitation faults.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The emulsion where it contacts the reel is not getting fixed. This happens when using SS reels if the film is wound too tightly on the reel during loading. Try this trick, after loading the film on the reel push the film end into the reel slightly so that the backing side contacts the reel and not the emulsion. Use an old bit of film and try moving the film end back and forth to see where the film contacts the reel.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 04-19-2012 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin