Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,229   Online: 701

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Dark edges on negatives

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	49523

I've recently started getting dark edges on most negatives (see photo). I thought it might be a light leak in the camera, but then it happened again with a different camera. Any ideas where I might be mishandling things?

Thanks.
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is this bulk loaded by any chance?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not bulk loaded, thanks. All film types also. Using steel reels and processing myself. Looking back at recent negatives, it looks like this started maybe 10 rolls ago and seems to be getting worse. The earliest signs look more like drag marks of some kind. A sample is attached.

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	49526
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0578.jpg  
    ----
    Jack Baty
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Both cameras have lightleaks? (not very likely, but...)
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    It has happened to me several times and I've considered this to have something to do with plastic developing tank reel. It doesn't seem to affect photos in any way, so I haven't let it bother me.
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Indeed, it does seem like it could be caused by the reel interacting with the negative. I was about to dismiss it as a non-issue until I saw the latest negs on the light table. That sure looks like like light leaking _somewhere_ to me. Not sure it matters, but this latest example is on a roll of Delta 3200. Would that not be more susceptible to light leakage than the Tri-X?

Name:	neg3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	49528
    ----
    Jack Baty
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On last negatives there are two things IMHO: some light leak AND marks from reels. I get those marks occasionally as well, using steel reels. Maybe it has something to do with film winded tightly on the reel?
    Developer reaches the emulsion, fixer not, as the emulsion is already stuck to the reel. Re-fixing should get rid of those edge stripes, at least I have experienced this.

Black beyond the sprocket holes, on the last sample, looks something different to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is probably related to your reels.

Give them a good scrub and see if there is any difference.

Also, have you noticed any unusual changes in humidity?

I know you said these are steel reels, but if there is residue on the reels and the humidity is high ...
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree about the reels. The developer caught between the reel and the film is getting additional agitation, or some such mechanical anomaly. As long as it doesn't extend into the image area, I wouldn't be too worried. Is this a new problem with the same equipment you've been using for some time, or has something changed?

Shooter
    35mm
    this phenomenon could be something like "friction fog" caused by too much mechanical pressure onto the edges of the film by the fingers during the loading process into the reels of the tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin