Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,475   Online: 1085

Thread: Dating Film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Dating Film

I picked up some loose rolls of expired 120 Tri-X 400 on ebay. How can I date the film based on the roll ? Is there a way?

The film is sitting in the fixer right now, there are some numbers on the backing paper, is there a way I can find out how old the film is by that ?

The film was not in the box. Just loose rolls..

Thanks

Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes the yellow foil wrappers will have expiration dates on them; but as far as I'm aware, there's no way to date a roll based on the roll of film itself, either 120 or 35mm. Regardless of the expiration, you should still get great results however.

Shooter
    35mm
    Can't speak for Kodak film but I am pretty sure that Ilford puts a code on the 35mm cassette which dates it. However you can't work the date out from the number. You have to contact ilford. Given that manufacturers need to keep track of such things I'd be surprised if Kodak doesn't do the same

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Must...not...make...bad...joke...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Must...not...make...bad...joke...
    What's your reasoning behind that faulty decision?
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I make it a point to never date without knowing age, regardless of how loose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lecarp View Post
    I make it a point to never date without knowing age, regardless of how loose.
    if I was more like you, I wouldnt have wasted the best years of my life.

Luckilly, film wont cheat or dump you (ok, well, the manufacturers might ), so just give it a try and see how it goes. If you get something good, awesome. If you dont, then you're helping the photochemical industry. If you think the film is years past expiration, overexpose a stop or two, develop normally, and tweak with VC paper. At least, that's the advice I remember reading. Never personally used black and white film so out of date I needed to use this advice
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    What's your reasoning behind that faulty decision?
    Because I know someone else will do (and did) as fine of a job of it...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin