Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,518   Posts: 1,572,206   Online: 987

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to add something about:
    1) keeping properties and storage of chemistry;
    2) ease and methods of handling of chemistry; and
    3) common sense safety precautions.

Nothing incredibly detailed - just things like some chemistry is mixed from powder, other chemistry comes in long lasting concentrates while other chemistry is easy to mix and measure but will only keep for a few months once opened.

And stress how simple it is to work safely and comfortably.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with mr rusty,

Keep it simple, concentrate on just development; stretching into other areas could easily overload your audience.

That said be prepared for questions about film or whatever else.

Here's an example article that shows some of what can be done along this line and where the conversation might lead. http://www.apug.org/forums/forum216/...-negative.html

Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    I think what is needed here is to Keep It Simple.

I am new to darkroom work, but what I have discovered is that it is very *easy* to get passable results without worrying too much.

Read simple guide e.g. Ilford's.
    Mix chemicals to standard dilutions.
    get the temperature about right.
    Follow the instructions using each chemical in the correct order.

Unless you do something very silly, you will get an image.

Once you have emphasized how easy it is to process your own film, you can then go on to say how interesting and challenging it is to improve your skill and understanding of the processes. It would be very easy to get bogged down in technical detail that will just put people off.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.roos View Post
    echo 'The classic MQ developers like D-76 and ID-11 are also cheap, easy to prepare and use, and give good results with almost all emulsions.\
    However HC-110 is an equally valid choice IMO.' >/dev/null
    lol!

I will mention D-76, X-tol, ID-11 etc as alternative developers and then the students can check wether they will move to other developers or not. But many people tend to get all freaky when they have to start mixing powders and work with stock solution. Then I have to go deeper into the 'storing developer' part and I don't think they will be interested in that yet, maybe when I can do more classes, I can get more into detail.

Thanks all for the replies, I even got a complete 'b/w development class' of one of the apug members. I think I have enough information now to put everything together and keep it simple indeed.

Safety precautions, good one too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin