Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,487   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Variables in b/w film development

My teacher at the academy asked me to do a class on 'b/w development' (it's all digital), as I am one of the few ones that work analog mostly. Just very basic class, but the idea is to motivate other students to either start with analog photography and the ones that already work analog; motivate them to start developing the film themselves.

I am wondering if I have the 'main' variables straight here in b/w film development that will influence the result, I know, very subjective and much more to tell, but I want to keep it very simple, so here they are:

- Developer/dilution.
    - Development time.
    - Agitation.
    - Temperature.

Any thoughts anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that is all you need
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To this beginner, it seems like a good list. Perhaps yuo should include film emulsion, though, since different emulsions may respond differently to different developers, and also will repond differently when pushed or pulled?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those are the main variables (along with type of film obviously).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks. Could you explain what you mean with 'emulsion'? I mean, how I could touch the subject, without going to deep into detail. I will also talk about t-grain vs 'traditional', is that something I can place under emulsion? As I wanted to discuss pushing/pulling too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    By "emulsion" I simply meant what type of film you are using. TRI-X will respond differently to Delta 100 because they have different granularity and tonal curve characteristics. T-grain versus traditional would be a good place to start.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The subject of T-grain vs more traditional grain would fall under emulsion as well. All of that can basically be grouped under "type of film" or "film characteristics" to keep it simple.

As for pushing/pulling, technically that falls under the categories you've already listed, since it is controlled by development time, dilution and agitation. Assuming you're really just talking about film developing, and not exposure (which is part of the overall pushing/pulling process), pushing and pulling at the development stage is really nothing more than decreasing or increasing development.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Add: stop (acidic or water), fixer, washing and drying and perhaps film storage.

http:www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, will add that too, so whole process from making the picture to the film storage. And checked some of the popular t-grain: Kodak TMAX, Ilford Delta, and the 'traditional' ones like Tri-X.

Plus a list with handy things you need when you start developing, like a thermometer, tank, bottles, a darkbag etc.

What I could use some help on, is an easy and cheap recipe. I thought about my 'own' recipe on TMAX400 in HC-110 and it is a nice one for scanning too the TMAX. I mean, X-tol is maybe a bit more 'difficult' and obscure. Or just a Delta or HP5+ in Amaloco, that one is an easy to use developer too, but I am not such a fan of Amaloco personally and why not start with HC-110 right away

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far this all presumes a single use fresh chemistry then dump regime.

Other variables can be stock solution usage, and degree of replenishment when not working a one shot system.

Also using a large tank versus a small tank versus using a tray, can be a factor affecting development, although that might fall under agitation in some peoples mind.

On to the more exotic, is the temperture response of the developing agents under consideration. They don't all work in exactly the same way with regards to activity versus a given temperature change, depending on where the temperature basis is started at.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin