Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,710   Online: 794

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film Developer for prints

I've read several posts suggesting that D-76 can make a fine print developer. I have quite a bit of it mixed that I do not think I will use on film before it becomes unusable, so I was considering trying it as a print developer. This is the same for some Ilfotec-HC I have mixed.

Can someone give me some starting points for using one or both of these film developers as print developers? i.e. dilutions and times?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    D-76 does not make a good print developer. Print developers are far more active than film developers. Your development time for prints in this developer would be exceedingly long.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen wonderful work done with Rodinal as print developer. Don't ask me how it was done, but the prints were fantastic!

Why not just try it out next time you have a printing session? You likely have to use it fairly concentrated.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 04-16-2012 at 12:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Other than activity the objection for using film developers such Rodinal or HC-110 for making prints is the additional cost.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

Why not just try it out next time you have a printing session? You likely have to use it fairly concentrated.

This is what I shall do ... adding a tablespoon or so of washing soda per some other posts I read.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal was sold as a print developer as well as a negative developer at one time but as Gerald points out it wouldn't be very economic. Actually Agfa recommended it as such from the start but you'd need to use a dilution like 1:15 to 1:20, or for more contrast 1:8 (1+7).

D76 has too high a sulphite level to be a practical paper developer.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I have seen wonderful work done with Rodinal as print developer. Don't ask me how it was done, but the prints were fantastic!
    Rodinal was originally a film and print developer.

EDIT: Just as Ian pointed out. One day I might read all the posts in a thread before answering!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    I've read several posts suggesting that D-76 can make a fine print developer. I have quite a bit of it mixed that I do not think I will use on film before it becomes unusable, so I was considering trying it as a print developer. This is the same for some Ilfotec-HC I have mixed.

Can someone give me some starting points for using one or both of these film developers as print developers? i.e. dilutions and times?
    If you store D-76 / ID-11 (same thing!) in airtight bottles, filled to the top with any air squeezed out, it'll keep fine. Don't use accordion bottles as they're useless. If you use plastic drink bottles, de-label them and keep them away from children etc.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    If you store D-76 / ID-11 (same thing!) in airtight bottles, filled to the top with any air squeezed out, it'll keep fine. Don't use accordion bottles as they're useless. If you use plastic drink bottles, de-label them and keep them away from children etc.

Cheers,
    kevs
    Thanks, Kevin ... I store in Brown Glass bottles and they are all filled to the top. Hopefully the Ilfotec will keep, too ... that stuff is expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    Don't use accordion bottles as they're useless.
    I've used accordion bottles for six years now, and don't consider them useless. But I don't use them for long term storage. However, they are very good for shorter term storage, say a couple of months, if you use it for stock solution for replenished film- and paper-developers.
    Say I mix a 5 l kit of Xtol, I put two liters in an accordion bottle, and the rest in 1 l glass amber jars. When the Xtol stock is about half empty in the accordion bottle, I fill it up with one of the liter bottles, and continue indefinitely. I do the same with replenished Ethol LPD, and never had a single problem with failing developer.

I'm just saying that they do have a purpose, and are therefore not useless. I agree they are not suited for long term storage.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin