Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,985   Online: 832

Shooter
    35mm

Cleaning old 4x5 neg

Found a old 4x5 neg, from kodak, the notche code I can not identify, probably Kodalith Pan 2568 (it is the more like), but after scanning I can post here.
    I want5 to now the best way to clean. Should I wash in destiled water and dry. Distiled water plus something or just try to clean with a dust blower?

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depends on how it is dirty - if just dusty, a dust blower should take most of it. If it is greasy, it might need more. A good wash in 1L of distilled water with a capful of both photoflow and 99% isopropyl alcohol (not the 70% which has mineral oil in it!) will dry nicely. If you need more, I have used a new microfiber cloth in distilled water and rubbed very gently.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    35mm
    Besides dus, a few spots of rust (I think) and wood dust. The neg was inside a envolope but it was in a box full of old stamps and pressure plates.

Images
    Good Evening, Rhodes,

As a philatelist, I caution you NOT to discard the old stamps. Chances are they will be of very nominal value, but one never knows . . .

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    I know, my grandfather was also one and collected!
    The stamps (not the mail ones, postmark, seal, imprint, ) and impresses remain in the box that was stored in a new place, since they may be going to a museum.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin